• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd Clutch Problem, need help

jstggs

NAXJA Forum User
Today I'm driving my 90 XJ on the highway(4.0 ax-15) and it was in a mountainous area so I was shifting often, with each successing shift I had to push the clutch pedal down further and further to get the clutch to work until the pedal hit the floor. The pedal feels as if it's not even connected to the MC, but it is. I was able to limp home about 90 miles by starting in gear and shifting at the 'sweet spots'.

So now I have no clutch, the fluid in the MC is dark even though I filled it about a month ago. The MC and the pressure line are new and the clutch disc&pressure plate are recent with not so many miles on them, however within the last month or so the truck has started to roll when engine is off while in gear on a hilly surface in 2WD.

So what could be the cause of this? Bad slave cyl? Kinked line? Bad clutch?

check under the trans for clutch fluid, if so then you know you have a leaking slave.
Rolling while parked certainly sounds like your clutch is not getting proper engagement, which might be a bad clutch, or it might be contamination from the fluid if the slave is leaking.
It's hard to tell what's going on in the bellhousing without pulling the trans.

No fluid under there besides some residual oil drips from the rear main and/or trans input seal.

I've noticed since it got cold that for the first few minutes until I get the jeep warmed up that the pedal is rock hard and it either grinds going into second or will completely block me from going in at all.

So what kind of failure that doesn't produce a fluid leak will make the clutch pedal feel as if it's not connected at all?

I'm going to try and bleed out the system again and see if that helps.

The procedure I always use for bleeding is open bleeder, remove mc cap, pump 3-6 times, hold pedal down, close bleeder, pump again, open bleeder and repeat until I can feel action in the clutch. Is that the 'proper' technique?

EDIT: The problem seems to have fixed itself, WTF!?! It drives like it did before with a small dead spot on the clutch but the clutch is working now...I just don't get it?!?

Last edited:
Back