• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing w/ xj?

nick86

NAXJA Forum User
anyone towing with these? I have off-road cj-5 would like to towbar or trailer to trails. Is my 96/4.0/aw4/31's capable of this? It has a 1 inch reciever hitch but I don't think It's factory.

silent_bob_662001 said:
anyone towing with these? I have off-road cj-5 would like to towbar or trailer to trails. Is my 96/4.0/aw4/31's capable of this? It has a 1 inch reciever hitch but I don't think It's factory.

If it's a 1-inch hitch, then no. You'll want a Class III (2") receiver.

I tow a car with my XJ every 4-6 weeks or so. It's doable, but DEFINITELY use a braked trailer. I'd also strongly recommend fitting an auxiliary transmission cooler.

so w/a 2inch hitch is tow bar out of ?

silent_bob_662001 said:
so w/a 2inch hitch is tow bar out of ?

Another XJ, or swing by U-Haul or similar and pick one up there.

I have towbar, I used to flat tow my cj w/ another cj, but just for short distances. So other than a tranny cooler any other advise?

How far do you plan on towing the CJ-5? What kind of roads? All highway? Backroads? Straigh? Windy?

I've flat-towed several times with my XJ but it is a 5spd. I'm not sure on the weight of your CJ-5 but if the CJ-5 weighs close to or more than your XJ it might make for an interesting ride as the truck will want to push&sway you arround corners.

100_4702.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/spf150/100_4703.jpg

779689_5_full.jpg

I'm unsure of the weight on the S10 Blazer but I only really felt it uphill and on turns on 2 lane roads, on the Interstate you really couldn't tell it was there.

The J10 is 4K lbs empty and I felt it every step of the way.

If you can get your hands on a brake setup like RV'ers use for towed cars it would make your flat-towing 'experience' alot better as the vehicle in tow would be braking as well as you.

nice input @ pics zoro, is that w/a2inch reciever hitch and what brand hitch?

it's a 2" Hidden Hitch, I've seen alot of XJ's w/them. It has 2 bolts on each 'frame' rail and 2 on the rear 'crossmember' behind the bumper, it's perty sturdy.

I am worried bout the cj being so much taller & wind more than the weight

I tow w/ my xj all the time, the most I've ever towed was my friends 99 f350 supercab diesel 4x4 (appox 8000lbs) a total of thirteen miles. this is with an aw4, I have a tranny cooler, but wish i had a temp gauge thattime, the tranny still drives like new though. Typically i tow cars and with a trailer which usaully is somewhere around 4000lbs. obviously i have a class 3 reciever

Typically i tow cars and with a trailer which usaully is somewhere around 4000lbs. obviously i have a class 3 reciever

WTF a class 3 w/ a unibody xj, no way

silent_bob_662001 said:
Typically i tow cars and with a trailer which usaully is somewhere around 4000lbs. obviously i have a class 3 reciever

WTF a class 3 w/ a unibody xj, no way

I had one on another Jeep, there's more bolts on the rear 'crossmember' behind the bumper and the hitch runs along the fram to about where the frame curves.

I do believe it's called a Unit Body

Just curious, when you guys flat tow vehicles -

Do you lock the steering wheel with something? How do you keept it in neutral - do you leave a key in the ignition or what?

Blaine B. said:
Just curious, when you guys flat tow vehicles -

Do you lock the steering wheel with something? How do you keept it in neutral - do you leave a key in the ignition or what?

On an auto matic with 4 wheel drive you put the transfer case in neutral and the trans in park with the key in the on position, disconnect the battery for a long trip

On a manual some people leave it in neutral with the key in the position just before you need the thumb latch. I always leave the trans in gear and the transfer case in neutral.

On a 2wd auto you need to pull the DS so the trans won't spin, if the trans spins(even in neutral) it will burn up as the motor is not powering the pump.

I've seen some folks use bungees to help the steering wheel center itself but I always let it do its own thing.

Factory tow package provides two-row radiator (standard is one-row), auxilliary tranny cooler out in front of the radiator/ac condenser, synthetic gear oil in the rear dif to handle the extra heat, as well as hitch and wiring. You are on 31 inch tires and stock gearing- you will generate a lot more heat in the tranny than if you had stock 28" tires, and you will have lower rpms/less power. My bet: you cook the tranny, if you tow more than a few miles or over hills. You need 4.10 gears in the axles.

Trany Cooler! If your going to tow much and in hot weather too. If your going to tow a lot change your trany fluid say every 20k. This is NOT a factory recommendation. But from a dud that worked at a trany shop for 2 years. ME
The factory changing engine oil every 3500 when towing. In the 01 owner manual anyway. When towing heavy (4380 LB) and in the heat I use Syn oil. Else Dino serves me well.
Blowby may show up or increase when towing. That has more to do with your driving habits then anything.
Trailer or "tapin" brakes are nice if you tow a lot. Else it's a big money layout for just a few miles, I towed a 2800 LBer all over the USA and Can without trailer brakes.
Once again this has more to do with driving habits and what make you happy then any set number I can toss at you. Check with your state they many have something to say about trailer brakes.

========================
A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
WORK SAFE

Zoro said:
Almost forgot, the AW4 likes to tow in 3rd with overdrive off...

Third gear do use overdrive,......... like a half gear between 3 & 4. I use it all the time in the city when the speed is too slow for 4+ overdrive. It shifts to overdrive when the speed is 3 to 4 miles slower. Also useful on hills to prevent gear hunting especially with large tires.

Back