• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog lights replacement.

Cox89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 Limited came with factory fog lights. When I put my winch and bumper on, I put the cheapo Walmarts on. One has already failed. I want to replace with KC's or some other good brand. $100 price range for both. If I go to 100 watt lights I'll have to rewire.

1. Do I go with 55 watt and not have to rewire?
2. Do I go with 100 watt and rewire?
3. What brand is good?
Note: I've seen some lights in the $600 range. I'm not going to pay over $150 total.

I have the Hella 6000 series (I have the driving lights, but they also make the same light in a fog pattern) I still have the 55 watt bulbs and am VERY happy with them. They run ~$60

i just got the kc slimlight 100 watt lights for christmas. they were pretty easy to install because it comes with a wiring harness and everything you need. i thought about just splicing them into my existing fog light wires, but it could have turned into an electrical nightmare of blown fuses and such. the install was straight forward and pretty easy. the only tough part was routing the wires through the firewall (2000) and finding a spot to mount the toggle. the lights work great though.

use the more powerful lights, then run an existing fog lamp wire to a relay, and run the high current draw from that relay.
Shouldn't be more than $10 in electrical stuff from the auto parts store, you get to keep the facotry fog switch and you get the more powerful lights you want.

Back