• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk yard lift + existing lift = ?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so ... I've got a 4.5" Rough Country lift on my 87 Chief right now (lift came with it when I bought it) And I've seen different write ups on junk yard lifts etc... adding Dakota, S-10 leafs and different coils and such.
My question is, would i benefit at all adding say S-10 leafs with F150 Coils? Is that going to give me anymore lift or no? Ride quality.. .doesn't really bother me because I don't drive enough on a daily basis for that to effect me... and it's 19 years old as is so it's not supposed to be luxorious. So... adding those 2 elements, would it give extra lift to the already 4.5" kit thats on there? Ideas... suggestions...input is all welcome.
Thanks!

it wont work becuase your lift already has bigger coils and longer leaves. you could try to experiment and get leaves from a fullsize dodge. but for the coils you could stack the isolaters on there. And iyou could add an overload spring to your rear pack. It should give your an inch or two.

F150 coils will be a lot stiffer because they have a different spring rate and are used to holding up a vehicle thats a lot heavier. I don't think that doing this will do much because you are already at 4.5 so the s10 leafs won't really give you any lift because they are generally used for a couple inches of gain. I would say leave the lift you have on there now, no use giving yourself extra work. Plus, going over 4.5 on short arms you will need either drop brackets for the control arms, or go to a long arm system.

Unless you have a completely spacer lift it will actualy drop your existing lift. I beleive the s-10/f-150 setup only gives about 3-3.5 inches and theres no way to add coils to coils.... so unless you have a 4.5" coil spacer it wont work

Alrighty, thanks for the info/advice. I wasn't sure whether or not that would help at all. What about MJ shackles? I was reading through other posts about them and was wondering if they would help at all give a little extra lift? I don't want anything too extreme because I don't want to have to deal with other mods. Just a tiny bit would be nice. Would these help me at all with what I already have? Thanks again

mj shackles arent any longer than the stock jeep xj shackle but most manufacturers who sell kits will sell you a longer shackle that will net you about 1-1.5 inches and if you dont give a shuit about ride quality you could always put a block under your leaf spring as long as you dont have a block in there already, you cant stack blocks. for the front find a bunch of top coil spring isolators and stack them together or get some 3 inch steel pipe and make your own spacers.

Theres a guy at my school running prolly a 6" lift, all blocks and spacers.... he is running 33's, I am running 3.5" BDS lift, trimmed as much as I can in back and enough in front (waiting till summer to get out the cutoff wheel to get more out of there) and I am running 33's... I am just waiting for the day that I see that big yellow jeep of his with the rear axle hanging off on the side of the road cause he lost his blocks :D aka, dont do it, get yourself a decent lift, if you want more lift, get shackles or something along those lines. How much more lift do you want in the first place? If you are looking for 6" total then you could try to add a leaf out back or something like you mentioned since you already have new shackles from the lift. Then for the front, you could get new springs or spacers... thats up to you.

Back