• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cb antenna on a surco roof rack?

Mutant_Xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a Cobra cb and radio sack 2' fiberglass whip, mirror mount & cable package. Now I mounted the antenna on the front of the surco rack on a 45* angle so if I came across a tree it wouldnt be as bad if it was sticking strait up. I grounded the rack previously for lights and ran an extra ground wire for the mount.
I came across a thread in my reseach that said the swr would be different if I had the rack loaded up then it would be empty. Is this true? does any one else have their antenna on their racks? Do you have any problems with it?
I want the antenna on the roof and I have the rack so I cant mount it to the roof itself. Does any one see any problems with my setup?

Thanks in advance

Mutant_Xj said:
I came across a thread in my reseach that said the swr would be different if I had the rack loaded up then it would be empty. Is this true?

Yes. You're changing the characteristics of the ground path by loading and unloading the rack, particularly if metallic objects (such as fuel cans) are involved. In turn, that will change the characteristics of the SWR reading. By how much it will change is load-dependent - it could range from miniscule to massive - but it won't stay static.

I want the antenna on the roof and I have the rack so I cant mount it to the roof itself. Does any one see any problems with my setup?

Not problems per se, but if you don't have the full-length Surco rack, what would be preventing you from using a magmount antenna in front of it?

I'm going to eventually put an air deflector in front of it, and if a tree limb caught the antenna wouldnt the top of the rack act as a leverage point and snap the antenna

Mutant_Xj said:
I'm going to eventually put an air deflector in front of it, and if a tree limb caught the antenna wouldnt the top of the rack act as a leverage point and snap the antenna

Depends on the bend. There's really no definite answer for that.

Back