• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Hate NSS

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
Alrite, figured while the Jeep was laying around in the garage while waiting on NAPA for my axle...to take off the NSS and clean it. I proceeded to get under the vehicle after having read many writeups since last inspection (march 2006) when i had the problem, ironically right before inspection time. In any case, I took off the top 12mm bolt after squeezing in there with a ratchet. After that I took off the ~23mm or w/e nut (it wasnt on tight) so I used an adjustable wrench on it. I then tried wiggling it off with no success. I read on a write-up that if you put the ~23mm nut back on a few threads and then take a flathead to pry it off using the side of the tranny pan for leverage. Didnt work, tried just about everything and it wont come off. :gonnablow So after a half hour of strugglin with the thing I called it quits for the night, put the stuff back on in the order i took it off and such.
However now i have a problem, before i wouldnt be able to start my jeep in anything but neutral or park, but now i can. I decided to try it only because i was worried i messed something up in the switch and apparently i did....I put the key in, turned the key and as soon as it cranked once i let off (jeep on jackstands, prolly not the best idea in the first place) but even thought the ebrake was on i didnt want to risk it anyways. In conclusion, does anyone have advice now?? I think what i just might do is put my jeep back together (axle wise) and dont worry about the NSS till march again. And out of curiousity, what happens if it is started in Drive?

no offense,.............but use your imagination and common sense on what would happen if you start it in drive. there is a reason it's only supposed to start in park or neutral.

Last edited:
scorpio_vette said:
no offense,.............but use your imagination and common sense on what would happen if you start it in park. there is a reason it's only supposed to start in park or neutral.
Im assuming you meant starting it in drive, cause last time i checked when i started it in park, it was the way you were supposed to. Thanks for you input on the main problem.

oops. yeah i meant drive. lol

as for your main problem, you either slightly moved the sensor while you were trying to pry it, or when you were prying on it, some of the parts inside the sensor got stuck even more than they were before and now is acting as if it's always in neutral. either way, you probably won't be able to fix it till you get it off.

Any ideas as to how to get the thing off without breaking it anymore? I would assume the springs on the inside got stuck or something. It seems no matter which way i pry it, or even with that trick with the nut (pic taken from a write-up), it just doesnt want to come off at all.
nss2.jpg

patience, patience and patience with very GENTLE wiggling and prying. it will come loose. every time i try to rush it because "i've done them before", i break them. you really just have to take your time with it. there is alot of dirt and grime down there. last thing you wanna do is break it.

oh and when you do finally open it up, BE VERY CAREFULL that the springs don't go flying across the garage/room. they are very tiny.

you can bypass it for now...unplug it from the harness (under hood near tranny dipstick), on the harness side put a flat female wire connector on the two center lower pins. It will start in any gear so be careful.

You can leave the NSS disconnected from the harness.

Jess said:
you can bypass it for now...unplug it from the harness (under hood near tranny dipstick), on the harness side put a flat female wire connector on the two center lower pins. It will start in any gear so be careful.

You can leave the NSS disconnected from the harness.
Is that going to allow my reverse ligthts to work now? Also, should i spray anything to try to get thu gunk loose?

scorpio_vette said:
no offense,.............but use your imagination and common sense on what would happen if you start it in drive. there is a reason it's only supposed to start in park or neutral.
BBeach said:
no offense,.............but use your imagination and common sense on what would happen if you start it in park. there is a reason it's only supposed to start in park or neutral.
I would reccomend a solution of 80%H2O / 20%NaCl mixed in a 2Qt spray bottle, "shaken visiborgousley", making sure the nozzle is to the 'stream' setting, and empty the entire contents into said NSS... That'll get the 'gunk' out for sure and send you on your way!

-Good Luck!

Last edited:
I've started mine in drive a few times. Doesn't hurt anything, but it does wake you up when the vehicle starts moving. More than likely, it's just out of adjustment since you removed the small bolt that gets tightened once it's lined up properly.

Looking at the picture, my first comment is don't pry on the nut. The underlying threads are aluminum and might strip out. Pentrating oil and patience are key.Careful prying in general as the back half on the unit is plastic.

Does anybody have a working spare or a quick solution to get my reverse lights to work whenever its put in reverse without wiring new lights?

When I was trying to get mine off, I broke it trying the screwdriver/prying method, so after that i lost a lot of leverage. What I did was spray the crap out of it with some kind of penrtrating oil, then in case you have moved it at all, push it all the way back on. Take a small stiff wire brush and clean up the shaft that the NSS goes through. Spray it down with penetrating oil again and mine came right off. Good Luck!

That sounds good, i have some pb blaster i might try. Next time i do any work under there im gonna be sure to get an underbody wash first, no need in eating any more mud than i did before. It cost $240 to buy a new one at auto zone. One update though is now my check engine light is on....brought it to auto zone and had it reset, something about transmission controller w/e i figure thats the way of saying "you messed up your NSS idiot". I guess ill give it a shot one more time if not, to junk yards i shall go.​

Jeep wont start now, anyone have any idea as to why? I gave the NSS a little tap with a screwdriver and wiggled the wires, trying starting in every gear but nothing.

If it is not water-tight it will never be the same. You can try to seal it. You first have to get it off and inspect it good, then you will have a better idea if it can be fixed.

It took a while for me to pry off my nss, but I got it after a lil' bit. I think I had more of a difficult time running that plug through the bottom after taking off the actual nss....

But in any event, I had to do mine twice b/c after following the writeup, I forgot to go to the autoparts store and get the necessary items for cleaning and lubing it up (I thought I already had them). It was especially sucky since I didn't have another vehicle for travel. Just to let you know, vasoline doesn't last too long for the grease inside....

On to your problem though, you seriously need to just get that thing off and clean it out and everything properly and install it back in. As others have said, just have some patience... try to get in a comfortable position and pry (not to hard, gently) and it will come loose eventually.

BBeach said:
That sounds good, i have some pb blaster i might try. Next time i do any work under there im gonna be sure to get an underbody wash first, no need in eating any more mud than i did before. It cost $240 to buy a new one at auto zone. One update though is now my check engine light is on....brought it to auto zone and had it reset, something about transmission controller w/e i figure thats the way of saying "you messed up your NSS idiot". I guess ill give it a shot one more time if not, to junk yards i shall go.​

I assume you have a 1997+ XJ, which is ODBII diagnostics. It will throw a code if it believe the NSS is messed up or misadjusted.

lawsoncl said:
I assume you have a 1997+ XJ, which is ODBII diagnostics. It will throw a code if it believe the NSS is messed up or misadjusted.
Its not starting no matter which way i position the NSS.

Can you drive it without the NSS or will tranny fluid leak out? I got it off but its damaged, gotta get a new one somewhere. I put the nut and stuff back on and tried running it through the gears with the jeep off, no leak. Ran it through the gears with engine on and no leaks. But i was wondering if i drive it for less than 20 miles (or even 20 feet) will fluid leak out? Is the NSS the same for anyting ~96/97+ in tj's, zj's etc.? Anyone have one laying around or know of a junkyard that would sell it for cheap? Thanks in advance.

Back