• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yes another one of those lift threads

Zice

NAXJA Forum User
alright I searched and didnt find what I was looking for so here it is...

Im currently sitting up with a 3 in pro comp lift with AAL rear and 31's 4.5 BS rock crawler wheels that are 7 or 8 in wide...

my friend can get me 4 33x12.50x15 "mickey thompson m't" (I dont know what tires they really are...thats all he told me) for free with over half tread on them...

so I may be either really ignorant or not so much but the way I see it since I have 31 in tires cleared fine right now 2 inch bigger tires (33) will work with 2 inch spacers and 2 inch shackles in rear (BB) BUT the 33's are obviously wider and that will effect clearence as well... this wouldnt be a problem if I planned to trim the flares off which I dont because by law I need them and cant afford TJ or any pocket flares... BUT I am getting a JCR stage 3 bumper and cutting the front of my fender off so I was thinking that would fix my problems of the width...

now if you would like to point me in the right direction to being a more knowledged... anyone running a 3 inch lift with 2 in boost with 33's and not trimmed tooo much? and am I completly off base when saying the 33's will work with a BB?

thanks

Yes you'll easily clear the 33's by adding 2" spacers. Plenty of people here run 33's on 5"s.
I even run my 33x12.5's on a homemade ~4" lift.
Oh and if your laws are really strict about flares, you can trim your fenders and still retain the stock flares, theres a write-up about here.

rockjock said:
can this be done using all of the stock links for the front axle, and would a sye be required?

You'll probably need new LCA's but you could maybe get away with stock ones if you dont mind a rough ride.
And as for sye, most of the newer ones will need it but depending on the year of your xj you could possibly get away with a t-case drop.

cut it and bumpstop it.

yes I knew this would come up and when it did I would have to reveal that I know nothing about bumpstoping... bumpstops... or where they go... go ahead and call me a noob if you please its just I never took the time to figured out what they are...but I think they are the rubber things inside the coil but thats about as far as I know about them...

Sounds like you will have 5" of lift when it is all over. That is what I'm running (with a 5" kit) and I had to trim a lot for 33's. I also had to add an inch to the bumpstops that came with the kit, which were already pretty tall.

DSC00389.JPG

That is a 33 stuffed almost to the bumpstop. Now that the springs have broken in, it comes closer... but still does not touch. If you wheel, you won't be able to run 33's on 5" without trimming. Not even if you keep your sway bars connected.

Bumpstops are inside the coil spring. To add more than stock, you stack from the spring pad at the bottom and work your way up.

Zice said:
yes I knew this would come up and when it did I would have to reveal that I know nothing about bumpstoping... bumpstops... or where they go... go ahead and call me a noob if you please its just I never took the time to figured out what they are...but I think they are the rubber things inside the coil but thats about as far as I know about them...

They're peices of rubber that stop you from flexing too much and having your fenders cut your tires. They're in the front in the spring and in the rear above the axle.
Heres what a stock rear bumpstop looks like...
Picture017.jpg

alright thats what I figured but I still dont know how to adjust them...

so some say yes it will work and others say no... which is it... I can deal with only doing light wheeling for a while but this will be mostly built to perform in the snow now because its seen too much mud and I cannot afford to build it and take it to nice trails so it wont need to flex a whole lot... and the sways will stay connected...

thats what I was thinking theres not much flex required for mudding or snow... I used to be into the mudding thing until I all but hydro-locked my motor and I would love to get more serious into the wheeling scene but its going to be hard with my current money situation and theres not much around here... so I decided how much I love snow wheelin that I will make my rig do the best it can in the snow and then it should be good in anything else...

I mainly need it to get to my house in the winter... I live up at the top of a mountain basicly and the mile drive to my house off the major road can get very bad... esp when its icy and its steep so you can easily slid off the side of the road over the bank and into a pond... I just need to be able to get back out... ;)

so thats why im doing this... not just a mall crawler :D

Harvo said:
Sounds like you will have 5" of lift when it is all over. That is what I'm running (with a 5" kit) and I had to trim a lot for 33's. I also had to add an inch to the bumpstops that came with the kit, which were already pretty tall.

DSC00389.JPG

That is a 33 stuffed almost to the bumpstop. Now that the springs have broken in, it comes closer... but still does not touch. If you wheel, you won't be able to run 33's on 5" without trimming. Not even if you keep your sway bars connected.

Bumpstops are inside the coil spring. To add more than stock, you stack from the spring pad at the bottom and work your way up.
that is not a lot of trimming

He trimmed?

Bite it boys :roflmao: When you didn't want to cut at all in the first place, and your metal work skills rival that only of the local girl scout troop.... it's a lot.

So it isn't really a lot when you look at how much others have cut... but it looks like it when you see that marker line and you are about to put blade to fender for the first time.

looks like he took off the fenders and bondo'd over the holes to me

Hey Zice... Grab your knife... it's in my back. :wave:

Back