• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Gas tank skid differences

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I was under the impression that an OEM gas tank skids will fit all years of Cherokees. It appears that might not be the case, that there are two classes: pre-97, and then 97-2001. Is this the case? I bought an OEM skid recently in great shape for my 2000 XJ. It appears it might be the older style, since it is is not open in the back. It looks like the older style in this thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100320&highlight=gas+tank+skid+plate

Is there any relatively easy way to modify the earlier style to fit a 2000, or am I just out of luck? I have searched on this, but have not found the answer.

Thanks,
CT

Two different types,one for steel(84-96) one for plastic tanks.There was a thread on modifying a later style skid a couple months back.And I have seen a ZJ/WJ ? skid modified to fit on the plastic tank XJ,s
Wayne

have you tried just holding it up to the vehicle and seeing if the holes line up? i picked one up out of a 95 for my 97, and it looks like it will work for me. im going to have to trim it up some with my angle grinder to get it to fit with my reciever hitch. its no big deal, just a few inches out of the top rear skid area (not the mounting tabs) where the plating interferes with the slight drop in the reciever.

Back