• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS Help Needed Please

goosecockxj

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the problem, my 94 auto wont shift till what seems like redline. It did this once before but only for a day or two then went back to normal. we had the huge storm here in co and ever since it has started doing this again, i can get first through third but it wont shift till redline. The idle is also low at stoplights and sometimes will die. i have adjusted the TV cable and cleaned all the connectors. i did the "key trick" and the only code i got was battery was recently disconnceted which it was. I tried testing the TPS but only the connector with 4 wires going into it. That seems to be the one that would cause the tranny problems from what i understand. plugged or unplugged idle or WOT i get .8 volts from 2 of the wires and roughly 12 volts form the other two wires. i think i should be getting .5 from one of them at wot from what i understand. i have also checked the tranny fuse from the fusebox and thats fine. when i looked at buying a tps the pics are all of the connector with 3 wires not 4, does the 4 wire go by a different name? am i testing the right part? i printed out a sheet on testing tps's so im gonna try to test the 3 and 4 prong tonight but to be quite honest im not sure i would recognize a bad tps or know if i was ordering the right part to replace it (the 3 prong, when i think i need the 4) please help if you can cause if i dont fix it by the weekend its going to a mechanic and i hate doing that if its an easy fix

thanks that is probably the most helpfull thing so far. does anyone know what the 4 wire plug is? i read a post in here saying that that was the one i would need to worry about but that is never mentioned in tps articals other than the one on here. the picture of the tps through napa is the 3 wire setup just like the link shows. so do i even need to worry about the 4 wire setup? it dies at idle pretty often now so tps seems like a good bet, too bad i cant even get up to my house to work on it now, damn colorado, 2 more feet of snow on the way and let me tell ya these jerky shifts dont help on the icy streets

i recently had the same problem, after a steam cleaning of the engine.... did some research... found a couple similar symptoms 1) wont shift till redline, 2) recent contact with water... i just swaped out tps's with another 4.0l auto cherokee, and it proved itself to be a bad tps... its an easy replacement

Don't forget that the IAC's (idle air controller [connected to the TB]) 'tit' can become gunked-up, or break loose, causing all kinds of TPS-like symptoms...
$5USD at a scrapper... This caused a month of headaches for me.

A 94 TPS will only have the 3-wire connector and is the same part regardless of auto or manual tranny. The other writeups that mention a 4 wire plug are probably referring to the Renix setup. The TPS sensor for the older Renix setup had two sets of outputs and two connectors, with the flat 3-pin connector going to the engine computer and a 4-pin square connector going to the TCU. The TPS for the HO engines only has a single output and the ECU creates the second output for the TCU. Note that the TCU throttle signal runs backwards from what the engine computer needs (ie 5-0 volts versus swinging 0-5 volts).

goosecockxj said:
Heres the problem, my 94 auto wont shift till what seems like redline. It did this once before but only for a day or two then went back to normal. we had the huge storm here in co and ever since it has started doing this again, i can get first through third but it wont shift till redline. The idle is also low at stoplights and sometimes will die. i have adjusted the TV cable and cleaned all the connectors. i did the "key trick" and the only code i got was battery was recently disconnceted which it was. I tried testing the TPS but only the connector with 4 wires going into it. That seems to be the one that would cause the tranny problems from what i understand. plugged or unplugged idle or WOT i get .8 volts from 2 of the wires and roughly 12 volts form the other two wires. i think i should be getting .5 from one of them at wot from what i understand. i have also checked the tranny fuse from the fusebox and thats fine. when i looked at buying a tps the pics are all of the connector with 3 wires not 4, does the 4 wire go by a different name? am i testing the right part? i printed out a sheet on testing tps's so im gonna try to test the 3 and 4 prong tonight but to be quite honest im not sure i would recognize a bad tps or know if i was ordering the right part to replace it (the 3 prong, when i think i need the 4) please help if you can cause if i dont fix it by the weekend its going to a mechanic and i hate doing that if its an easy fix

Can you post some pictures. How long have you had this Jeep? Could a prior owner have installed an older Renix engine, transmission and Renix ECU system (with the 3/4 wire two connector TPS)? Or could some one have installed the wrong TPS?

Back