• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE alternatives

vroomvr00m0

NAXJA Forum User
i just put a 4.5 RE lift in my 99 classic and i have accleration vibrations. I know i need a SYE and new driveshaft but i was wondering if there is a cheaper way to get the driveline angle back under control.

vroomvr00m0 said:
i just put a 4.5 RE lift in my 99 classic and i have accleration vibrations. I know i need a SYE and new driveshaft but i was wondering if there is a cheaper way to get the driveline angle back under control.
there is more to a SYE than correcting driveline angles, hence the name, it eliminates the slip yoke output on your transfer case. You could probably get a transfer case drop to help out with your angles, but a poor band-aid(at best) IMO, good luck

i was thinking more along the lines of other drivetrain solutions i dont want to lower my t-case.....I think i heard something about maybe a YJ driveshaft with some modifications but i could be wrong.

I believe you can do the RE hack 'n tap plus junk yard front drive shaft for less than $200 on average. It's an economical solution for poor people (like me).

The PORC SYE was (last year) about $180 and a junkyard front shaft is about $30 ($15 or get a spare on half price days). Just as cheep as a hack n tap and a whole lot stronger. If you dont have an auto trans get a tape measure and wander the yard measuring double cardan drive shafts.

John

vroomvr00m0 said:

Depends. You may be able to get away with degree shims under the rear leaves and be OK (I am at 3.5" with 4-degree shims), but you may still experience vibes from the front driveshaft. Much over where I'm at, though, I'd be worrying about having the rear driveshaft pop off the slip yoke under heavy articulation.

teookie said:
I believe you can do the RE hack 'n tap plus junk yard front drive shaft for less than $200 on average. It's an economical solution for poor people (like me).

the hack and tap will put a flat end on the t-case shaft and the front driveshaft off a np231 or 242 are CVO type driveshafts they will not fit. i would have to get the heavy duty output shaft which is 300 bucks to use a front driveshaft

Back