• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Subwoofers Install

shaddady34

NAXJA Forum User
I have my 2 channel amp installed and just need to hook the speaker wire up to my 2 12" subs in a bandpass box. I am not an audio expert so i'm in a small dilema. The amp has 2 pos and 2 neg connections for the subs. On the sub box itself, there is only two terminals to connect the speaker wire to. How should i connect the sub to the amp??? thanks

the subs must be wired together in the box, so just use one, if you want t bridge the subs through the amp use one positive on one side and the negative on the other side

honestly i have no idea but my friends like to do it, sometimes it sounds better sometimes not, people think it sounds more central to the sound, it depends on what kind of deck you have and your setup you already have

shaddady34 said:
I have my 2 channel amp installed and just need to hook the speaker wire up to my 2 12" subs in a bandpass box. I am not an audio expert so i'm in a small dilema. The amp has 2 pos and 2 neg connections for the subs. On the sub box itself, there is only two terminals to connect the speaker wire to. How should i connect the sub to the amp??? thanks

The speakers are ran in a series in the bandbass box it sounds like. That means that they are both ran off of each other, and then wired to the input on the box. This will reduce your Ohms. Since your amp has two pos and neg, you can take the positive from one channel and the neg from the other channel and thus run it as a mono channel. This will increase the demand on the amp and pull more power out of the amp. You must first check to make sure that the amp is mono or 1, or 2 Ohm stable, if it is not, it will blow the amp. Most amps on the market today are set up to run mono, so you should be in good shape. You amp might even have marking on the speaker outputs that show what the mono configuration is. I believe it is typically the left channel positive and the right channel negative. Check you amp to make sure.

MG2000XJ said:
If it has two pos and two neg it is a 2 channel amp...

Such words of wisdom! Go read the opening sentance of this thread... ;)

MG2000XJ said:
If it has two pos and two neg it is a 2 channel amp...

This is incorrect. Several mono block amps now have two positive and two negative connections. This allows the amp more versatility in connecting various types of subwoofers. It would seem common sense...but technology has surpassed the 90's.
This makes is tricky in identifying what type of amp you have. However you know you have a typical two channel amp to drive these subwoofers. If that is the case, then it would be correct to wire the positive to one set of connections, and the negative to the other set of connections. However if it is a mono block amp that has newer style of connections, then "bridging" the amp would provide you no benefit! If you need some more specific info, shoot me a pm with the model numbers and ill let you know how to wire it!

StylerG said:
This is incorrect. Several mono block amps now have two positive and two negative connections. This allows the amp more versatility in connecting various types of subwoofers. It would seem common sense...but technology has surpassed the 90's.

Yes, also some companies do this to save money too. It allows them to use a 2ch chassis for mono amps.

Back