• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog lamp switch

mrrbby

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone out there having the same problem I'm having? I end up replacing the fog lamp switch about once a year on our 99 sport. It usually wears out right before inspection. I just wanted to know if this is a common problem, like the vent issue, or if it's just me. Either way, the next time, I'm putting in a toggle switch, and that will be the end of it.

At least yours lasted a year. Mine was only a couple of weeks (for each of 2 switches) before I ran my own wiring and switch!

Actually, I bought the last one Nov 10th. The switch still works, but won't stay in the on position. I don't know when it went bad, as my wife drives that jeep. She didn't notice. She doesn't use the fog lamps all that much. The dealer gave me a replacement free of charge. I love that jeep, I like the old mopars, but I can't stand the cheesy cheap parts being used to make them. I now see why some prefer the 96 and older xj's. Less problems, at least with the small stuff.

It's been about 5 years since I replaced my fog switch but when I did, Mopar included a 'jumper' wire connector that plugs in between the switch and the main harness connector. The purpose of the jumper was to solve the problem of the short lived switch.
The jumper was only included for free for a few years, now the switch and jumper sell for over $100 (last I heard) from the dealer.
Over 5 years and still working.

mrrbby said:
Nobody out there has had this issue with their 97-01 cherokee?

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can safely say that this hasn't been an issue on my 2000 at all.

I removed the bulb on my used replacement switch several years ago. The switch works fine, it just doesn't light up when the fogs are on. I never use the fogs anyway. Even if there was fog in Arizona, the lights do nothing the help the situation.

Back