• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best riding flexing 6.5 in coil springs?

RE ZJ 4.5" coils, they net 5.5" on an XJ. Add a 1" poly spacer over it.

The only "better" coil out there is the skyjacker 8", but thats a good bit taller.

Coils have a little to do with how the Suspension flexes, if your geometry is off, it isn't gonna flex for crap. i.e. my personal real world experience is I had skyjacker control arms on about 5" of lift spring. You couldn't even get a finger in between the top of the CA and the bottom of the shock mount on the axle. Then I switched over to Rusty's "bent" or "angled" control arms, Now I can get about 3 fingers in between the same place and it flexes awesome, and rides a lot better too.

However to the question, so far on the XJ I have had skycrapper, and Rubicon express, and the installation of the RE springs was a fantastic decision, they ride so much better than the skyjackers did. You could get a 5.5" Re spring and a 1" spacer and be at the 6.5" that you need. I have the 4.5" now, But I am stepping up to the 5.5" and a spacer myself with drop brackets or switching to long arms

Last edited:
Coils have quiet a bit to do with it. They aren't as big of a factor as good suspension geometry, but a really hard coil will not stuff as well as a soft one, and a soft coil will not make the rear end work as hard as a stiff one. There's a lot of thought to put into it, and most people who do end up with RE ZJ coils or skyjacker coils. :)

Back