PDA

View Full Version : Engine Block Ground Nut

98XJSport
July 4th, 2006, 09:17
Im trying to clean my grounds and replace the braided ground on my 98 XJ. I need to know the size of the nut that holds the ground to the block, I don't currently have anything big enough. I don't have the jeep here, so I can't measure. I will be going to the hardware store in a couple hours so any help would be much appreciated.

anony91xj
July 4th, 2006, 09:31
The braided ground that goes to the cylinder head bolt is what you're talking about, right? I believe that's a 3/4", but I could be mistaken, it's been awhile. Something in the back of my head tells me it's 7/8"....I dunno. Just go to Sears and buy a set of big chrome deep standard sockets, can't hurt to have them around for future work anyway, and they're not that expensive.

98XJSport
July 4th, 2006, 09:37
Theres no sears around, Im gonna hafta try for an el cheapo walmart set probably, but that gives me the range of a set to look at. Thanks.

anony91xj
July 4th, 2006, 09:57
Theres no sears around, Im gonna hafta try for an el cheapo walmart set probably, but that gives me the range of a set to look at. Thanks.
Well then go to WalMart :D

Those sockets are handy to have, I assume you already have a 1/2" drive ratchet to work with. It's easy to get thrown because the bolts aren't metric like most cars today.

98XJSport
July 4th, 2006, 12:22
Got a set, should be good to go.
Yeah when im not working on my jeep Im working on my celica, talk about 2 different worlds.

Thanks for the help

johnnyc
July 4th, 2006, 15:33
I think I can safely say that the nut is NOT as big as 3/4" or 7/8". I'm thinking more like 1/2". So as long as you get a standard set, you'll be good.
What are you replacing the braided strap with? I used a short battery cable.

5-90
July 4th, 2006, 16:25
The stud it goes onto takes a 1/2" ring lug, so it's either going to be a 7/16" fine or a 1/2" fine thread. I do remember that hex size being a bit wonky tho - I think it was actually a 16m/m mid-length socket that worked well, which probably makes it 11/16".

Bit of a roundabout way to answer, I know, but I'm working from memory here...

5-90

98XJSport
July 9th, 2006, 16:18
11/16 did the trick. Thanks for the help.

SuperRA
July 10th, 2006, 00:41
The thread size of the stud protruding from the headbolt is 7/16"-14 (7/16 Coarse) The size of the nut hex (for the wrench size) could differ depending on the nut manufacturer, mines is 11/16". I know this becuase I just had to get this nut yesterday ;)

LOL, just noticed you already solved this. Duh, I'm a little late...