• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drivetrain question

Brian Strickland

NAXJA Forum User
is it possible to drive with different gear ratios in the front and rear axle with a 231? i have a d-30 with 4.56's and a d35 with the same. i'm going to be installing a d-44 soon , i'd like to get it in there and find out how short the driveshaft has to be cut to fit. the d-44 will be regeared to match, but as of right now it has 3.55's in it. my question is would it be possible as long as i leave it in 2hi? i realize i could probably just pull the front driveshaft as well and that would work. i searched before i posted so take it easy on me.

No problem as long as you don't put it in 4wd........but you could remove the front shaft to be safe.

I drove around with 4.56 in the front and 4.88 in the rear for nearly 8 months while I worked on my front end. After a couple weeks I pulled the front shaft just to be safe. You won't have any problems.

Back