• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late valve cover into an '89

Cherokid

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks,
I've got an '89 4.0 with a horrific oil leak. Later this week I'll be cleaning up the valve cover (stuck pcv), changing out the rear main/oil pan gaskets. The question is, what are my options if I can't get the pcv cleared up? I've read it's built into the cover and replacing the valve cover is the only option. Where's the cheapest place to get another, can I use one from a different year? I've found them for up to '86 and '94 on.

Thanks for the help,
Cherokid

Cherokid said:
Hey folks,
I've got an '89 4.0 with a horrific oil leak. Later this week I'll be cleaning up the valve cover (stuck pcv), changing out the rear main/oil pan gaskets. The question is, what are my options if I can't get the pcv cleared up? I've read it's built into the cover and replacing the valve cover is the only option. Where's the cheapest place to get another, can I use one from a different year? I've found them for up to '86 and '94 on.

Thanks for the help,
Cherokid
Essentially you can use any valve cover from any year 4.0L XJ. From 1987-1990 they used one kind, then from 1991-1992 they used another, 1993-1995 another, and then 96+ was another.
This was my 1990 with a 1993 valve cover on it...
ResizedVC2.jpg

This is my 1990 with a 96+ on...
EngineShot.jpg

The only thing you will have to do is change some of the CCV tubes/fittings around and you'll be good to go. I personally like the 96+ stamped steel valve covers myself because they're good looking and have a reusable gasket that you don't have to use sealant with. Kind of a "to each their own" case though.

You can get the grommets and elbows in the "help" section at the parts house.
The grommets are the same front to rear, pt# 42344.
The rear pvc elbow is pt# 47057.
These are "DormanProducts" numbers.
As for the front elbow, I do not have the #, as my late model V/C still had a good front elbow.

You don't have to get a new cover. All you have to do is clean up the old one. Remove it and use some Castrol SuperClean to degrease it. You need to remove the baffles near the vents and clean them and everything under them. Then replace everything as it was. New grommets and hoses are nice, but if you don't have the $$ to replace them, soak the grommets in hot bleach water to soften them and use SuperClean to flush out the lines.

Back