• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Clearance Skidplates - Good or Bad ?

spacomponents

NAXJA Forum User
I have read how high clearance skidplates on TJs can cause drivetrain issues because there is too much angularity.

First, is it true for XJ's ?

How does this happen? Is it because a high clearance skidplate raises the T/C ???

It's a little different on TJ's because they are a "frame on body design". One can raise the T-case while at the same time, adding a body lift to make up for the space. This facilitates a flat 'belly' style skid. The XJ is a unibody design, so you are limited in terms of how high you can raise the transfer case. The body does not lift off the frame like a TJ. There are very few high clearance skid plates out there for the XJ. Most skids simply fit over or attach to the cross member for added protection. A high clearance skid will require a cross-member redesign.

If you raise the transfer case, you are increasing your driveline angle. This is why some chose to lower their transfer case when lifting (reversing the effect). As far as I know, the TNT kit doesn't raise the t-case. It replaces the crossmember with a slimmer design and incorporated skid plate. I don't beleive that you would have any issues above and beyond the typical issues that arise when lifting a jeep.

Also keep in mind that the rear driveshaft is longer on an XJ...

I have a TJ and will be lifting it in the next few weeks. With the "Belly Up" skids as stated before it changes the vertical distance the Driveshaft has to go. To do it correctly I have seen that most people go with a SYE (on the 231J) and a CV style driveshaft so that it can flex more. That also brings up other issues with the Rear Axle since you need to get adjustable control arms to and adjust the shock mounts.

I have been trying to work out a list of items that will accomplish what I want , done correctly, with Dirk at DPG. He has been very helpful and pointed out many things I didn't think of or find in my research.

As for XJ's, I am not sure how much of a difference you will notice for the extra items it will add to your list (CV, Control arms, etc). It might be more worthwhile to get a different skid that doesn't move the TC, but has a trail side that has fewer things to catch on. That TNT one looks like a good deal. Of course for TJ's since THEY are overpriced...everything else has to be. Not sure if you have both a XJ and TJ like I do, if you do I have a 03 TJ and would be happy to tell you some of the other things I have found would need to be done.

uncc civilengineer said:
This just arrived to my house today!

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=HDXMEMBER&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Protection

I'll let you know how it does, it's supposed to raise the t-case approx. 1/2-inch. I purchased it b/c I went w/ RK's 3-link and my Skid Row t-case skid wouldnt work w/ my NP242 anymore... The clearances were just that tight.

I plan to install tomorrow.

Looks like a quality piece...let us know what you think of it.

Back