• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-Brake Re-location... help

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I got a center console from a 95. I want to put it in my 87 Chief but I need to move the e-brake over more towards the drivers seat. I've looked for a write-up on how to do that... I'm either stupid and not typing in the right thing in the search but I haven't found anything. So if you have a write-up w/ or w/out pics would be great... Would like to do this asap because my center console lid has fallen off my current one and is rather annoying... would like to put the 95 console in soon... so please... I need a write-up on e-brake relocation :yelclap:

Did you get a chance to see what the e-brake assemble looked like in the '95? you will either need to bend the assembly over to fit the console or you will need to re-mount it to the tunnel to fit.

Yeah I did look a little at the set up in the 95. I wont have to re-weld anything will I? Just maybe drill another hole or 2 and bolt it down in the new location? I just want to get an idea of what it is i'm doing before I start because this is my DD as well and dont want my Chief all torn up not knowing where to go next. I want to be prepared before I start and know what i'm doing :viking:

Bdiddy11 said:
Ok, so I got a center console from a 95. I want to put it in my 87 Chief but I need to move the e-brake over more towards the drivers seat. I've looked for a write-up on how to do that... I'm either stupid and not typing in the right thing in the search but I haven't found anything. So if you have a write-up w/ or w/out pics would be great... Would like to do this asap because my center console lid has fallen off my current one and is rather annoying... would like to put the 95 console in soon... so please... I need a write-up on e-brake relocation :yelclap:
If you need to relocate your emergency brake handle to install it, your new console isn't from a 95. It'd have to be from a 97 or newer. An emergency brake handle assembly from a 97 or newer Cherokee should bolt up in place of yours, and will have the handle offset to clear the cupholders.

I could be wrong. It could be from a 97... the marking on the windshield said 95' Cherokee at the junkyard so who knows... but this is what it looks like (not my Jeep)

dsc07476xe2.jpg

The green arrows show that the e-brake is to the left of the cupholders and goes down beside them...mine is an 87 and goes straight down the console/lid. Will the 97 e-brake bolt into my stock position and still work or do I need to move it completely?
Thanks

Yes this would be a 97 or newer model. Will everything else line up?

Haven't tried it yet. I imagine it will though. I can test fit it tonight though. Was hoping to have some other carpet in before I for sure put the center in though. Because it was a pain in the bootay to take the console out.. and would rather not hastle with it again. I thought it was a 95...dumb people at the junk yard marked it wrong... the mouldings/trim will still fit right? Because I pulled most of the trim to put in my car... Out with the bourgandy, in with the grey!:viking:

Back