• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing

RabidRabit

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an 89XJ with the 4L/manual transmission. Is my D35 got 3:07s? If so If I want to swap in an Ford 8.8 rear end with 3.55 can I just get the matching gearing for the front end from the scrap yard out of an automatic XJ with the 3.55 gearing to match this rear end?

im pretty sure this is an "if you have to ask, its over your head" type of deal...

but ill favor it.

you COULD get those gears from the junkyard or wherever and yes a 4.0 with auto tranny should have 3.55s HOWEVER

swapping used gears is a risky business, if done correctly they could work right, or they could not work at all and bomb in less than 10 miles. the gears would have to be setup by a professional (one that would actually waste time setting up used gears) and have to match the origional wear patterns.

like i said, its risky.

Your right about over my head LOL!! But hey it's how we learn right. K, so IXNeh on the used gears. Can you interpret that thread for me. Is it saying that I should change out my axles on the front end instead? Or should I just look at buying new gearing for the front end. Mind you I haven't checked out the pricing yet either LOL.
If I look at changing out the gearing I would just do the same though wouldn't I? Find an automatic XJ with the 3.55 gearing and take the axles?
Now that you've responded once, I'm going to pick your brains for as much info as possible. LOL
Jim

hehe, yeah.. thats how we learn.

in that thread they're advising the guy to take the entire front axle... minus steering and all the other crap that's on yours.

if you're up to swapping the rear axle out and know to go for an 8.8 i would imagine you can get the front as well.

gear setup is no easy trick, many people who do ALL their own work still pay to have it done.

it shouldnt be THAT expensive... but if yuo plan on regearing both axles in the future then i would do it all at once. you can find gears at www.quadratec.com and other places like that.

if you can't afford that now, then you could always slap in the 8.8 and pull the front driveshaft...

Get the front axle from a 97-99 with an auto. Check the tag on the axle for the gear ratio. It will be cheaper than buying new gears & having them installed. Swapping the axle shouldn't take more than 4 hrs. if you take your time. JIM.

RabidRabit said:
The front axles from 97-99 will swap in to my 89?
yes, I have a 373 geared 97 axle in my 87.
You have 3.07's stock
a 97 axle is bolt in, you may have to get new rotors and calipers, as they were changed.
be prepared to have to cut some bolts. the frame side bolts on my lower control arms were stuck in the bushings and required a sawzall and some time.
LCA replacement bolts are m14, uca are m10, length depends on whether it's frame side or axle side. You'll have to measure for that.
air tools will be the greatest thing ever, beg or borrow from a friend if you don't have them.
it's easier to swap axles than it is to swap gears. Might as well do balljoints/ujoints and seals on the junkyard axle before it goes in. Don't forget about the rubber bushings as well, if yours are original then they likely should be replaced.

Back