• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

angles?

JEEPTUBE

NAXJA Forum User
Is this correct angle?
angle.jpg

driveshaft001.jpg

driveshaft017.jpg

RE 5.5 lift-SYE-8.25-4.56-33x12.50
Strange hum rumble at 70 MPH coming from rear.
Just had the gears done at a professional shop.
Just had the driveshaft ballanced and new u-joint.
They said everything else on it was tip top.
And on the middle picture i noticed a gap where the copper colored plate is. ?
Should i take it back in.

It looks as though your pinion is just a bit high. You want the pinion to be pointing about 2 degrees below the transfer case end of the shaft. That will compensate for the effect of torque lift when underway.

Good luck

The copper colored plate is the pinon oil seal. If it's not leaking then the gap is fine.

Why are you driving a lifted XJ 70 MPH??

Your keys fell out of your pocket. Just didn't want you to loose them.;)

Thanks i left my keys out there, hahahaha.
Heres a pic of my shims. Do i need shorter ones? How do i measure them? In what measurement?
wedge003.jpg

wedge001.jpg

wedge002.jpg

:viking:

Try replacing your shims with ones about 1-2 degrees less. If you've got 6* shims, try 4* shims, et c.. Ideally, the pinion points directly at the transfer case output under load. Since the torque of the driveshaft rotates the pinion up a degree or two, your shims should set the pinion angle one to two degrees low when the Jeep is at rest.

I saw cool drawing of whats good angles and nono angles. 3 or 4 of them pics at diff angles to tell u whats good and whats bad. It looked as though someone did it in cad too. Where was this. If any body can find a similar pic that would be awesome.

Yes i did master jack stand wheeler.
I totally understandith thy reply. i had seen the drawing and searched but could not find that specific pic................So im sorry if i kicked sand in yer clam.
are u grumpy?

hes always grumpy.

hahahahaha
T.S.O.L.
I CREEP ON DOWN INTO THE MORTUARY.....I OPEN THE CASKETS AND FIDLE WITH THE DEAD.
I saw those guys about 2 years ago in sacto at the blue lamp. It was insane!!

JEEPTUBE said:
Yes i did master jack stand wheeler.
I totally understandith thy reply. i had seen the drawing and searched but could not find that specific pic................So im sorry if i kicked sand in yer clam.
are u grumpy?

If you understood the reply, then why did you need the picture? There are only 2 other degrees of shims under what you have. Do what Mambeu said and step down to a four. If that doesn't do it then step down to a two. Is that so difficult?

drvangle_sm.jpg

Feel better about it all now?

:rolleyes:

but hes running a double cardan shaft...

I have a cv at the t-case and u joint at the rear end. So do i follow the diagram or does this not apply since i have a cv at one end.
Are u talking shim it lower so when i put on the torqe, the pinion will then roll up so that it is in line. just like the picture where i left my keys on the ground? Is that how it should look under load while driving? I might as well just take the shimms completely out then.

I just talked to a shop here in town about my dunderheadness and he said the correct way is to cutt the perches off and degree it like that so u get proper lubrication. He said hed do it for 150 bucks. I said well if i just get the correct shim for like 20 bucks that will get me the same lubrication and angle anyway right? He was like uhhhh.
Anyhow he agreed with u 91 and ramsey even with the cv.

WTF?
I called rubicon and they said they always recomend the 6 degree shim with their 5.5 inch kit with the sye and cv shaft with an 8.25. I asked him why? He said to get correct pinion angle and i said not with those shims thats to steep for that lift. And will cause premature u joint failure. I was being nice, he didnt care. I dont even think he knew what i was talking about. Any way i asked for a price on the 4 degree shim and he said 31.95. WOW thats expensive is it not? They dont carry 2 degree shims. Where can i find them?

JEEPTUBE said:
WTF?
I called rubicon and they said they always recomend the 6 degree shim with their 5.5 inch kit with the sye and cv shaft with an 8.25. I asked him why? He said to get correct pinion angle and i said not with those shims thats to steep for that lift. And will cause premature u joint failure. I was being nice, he didnt care. I dont even think he knew what i was talking about. Any way i asked for a price on the 4 degree shim and he said 31.95. WOW thats expensive is it not? They dont carry 2 degree shims. Where can i find them?

Going through this myself. I may have some 2° aluminum shims I can give you when I put my 6° shims in and see how they work (I was off by 4° with the 2" shim).

I'm '89 w/ 4.0L AW4, SLE and Dana44 on 5.5 RE lift.

Back