• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mud Caves

Do a Google search for Canyon Sin Nombre and you get a lot of results.

Canyon Sin Nombre is technicaly in the Borego Badlands, really pretty trail for the most part, though no challenge beyond the occasional land slide to climb over. As for the mud caves, I think I've found them on that trail, but they arnt really obvious. Basicly a bunch of wind carved holes. I could be wrong though. There are some very neat narrow canyons you can hike up on Canyon Sin Nombre though, one of which has some pretty neat natural arches, about 15 minutes in off of the western enterance to Canyon Sin Nombre.

Also fun to go over to the big drop off into Fish Creek, though probably wont be getting back up it without some kinda lockers/LSDs.

I will amend that and I think that the neat canyon I was talking about is supposed to be a "mud cave" Dunno about that but its a nice slotted canyon.
ABDSP_Arroyo_Tapiado_Big_Mud_Cave.jpg
http://www.hiddensandiego.com/pics/preview_pics/ABDSP_Arroyo_Tapiado_Big_Mud_Cave.jpg

Last edited:
Been out there a dozen times. I know it all by sight, but you can get good directions from one of the Anzo Borrego guide books or off of the web. As I remember it.... Down the S-2 way past Canyon Sin Nombre. Over the concrete bridge. Past 7 echoes well. Turn onto dirt road on right. There is a pretty big turn out here with warning signs and heavy timber barriers. Go a couple miles to the east. Look for the hollywood and vine sign up on the dirt hill to the left. A little past this will be a large wash on the left that is very well traveled. Go up this wash to the North. There will be a turn to the left off of this wash that is far better traveled than the wash itself (because it leads to the mud caves. Take this turn. The best mud cave is up a 10 foot hill on the right hand side a little ways in. You cant see the entrance from the road since its behind the little hill. Bring lots of light, preferably LED head band lights.

TheGangatMudCaves1.jpg

From S-2 you want the Vallecito Wash then after Hollywood and Vine its left on the Arroyo Tapiado to the mud caves. Approx 3mi from S-2 to Arroyo Tapiado and 2mi up Arroyo Tapiado to the mud caves. From Canyon Sin Nombre (after traveling about 4.5mi)turn right onto Vallecito Wash then about 1.25mi right onto Arroyo Tapiado.

John

Last edited:
Those directions sound right. If are traveling on the I-8 by chance you should stop at the 76 Station at Occitillo (not wells) and they have ohv/hiking maps of the Anza Borego area with the mud caves in Canyon Sin Nombre marked on them.

I forgot to mention, while you in Ocotillo you neeed to go to the Cafe at the intersection of the I-8 and the S-2 (the one with the flathead t-bucket out front). Order any of their hamburgers. They are FANTASTIC. I am not a bacon-mushroom-cheeseburger fan but its worth a little artery clogging to eat one, with onion rings there every few months. The Shakes are hand made and delicious as well. Very friendly place and kid friendly as well.

Enjoy it...

John

Back