• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vent about Skid Plates and new member to our household

XJCasper

NAXJA Member #1042
Need to vent. I spent a few hours yesterday and a few hours today wrestling with the Gas tank skid. I still can't get this damned thing on. I am trying to get everything done by Tillamook, but I might scrap my rear skid.

My new bumper requires that I cut the Nut strip down, which I did, but then I have to fish the strip into the unibody frame and hope the bolt goes in. Got one bold in out of four. Got the opposite side lined up, but the bolt won't go through the nut. I messed with this thing for two hours before I had to take off with the family. What's worse, the rear two mounting holes don't even match up.

I am about to scrap the rear skid and get the rear bumper finished, so I can move on to the Front Skid, Tranfer cased skid, rock rails, OBA and the CB.

SO, do I really need that rear skid?

On the good side. Got my rear differential skid thing on AND we adopted a new puppy from the Animal Rescue in Chehalis. She's a cute. Doby, Border Collie, and German sheppard mix. We bring her home on Thursday.

I wouldn't go without a gas tank skid or t-case protection. Never needed anything covering up the front because I always look where I'm going. ;) Rock rails are a must...while OBA would be less of a priority to me than a working CB.

Wish I was closer so I could give you a hand. I've done a LOT of fishing through the rear 'frame' rails on hitch kits and skids that didn't come with nut strips. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve. :)

Congrats on the pup. Make sure to post up pics when you get her!

The first few times you do the rear skid it can be a real pain!! You should be able to rivet them into place to keep them in the right spot when you line up the bumper and skid. You do know that the hitch goes on first, then bumper, then skid right? or if the hitch is in the bumper obviously bumper then skid. They are not easy to line up but it can be done. Two hands can be very useful.

Michael

Well, I had my wife and my son helping where needed, but just couldn't get things lined up correctly. I thought of a possibility today that I will try on Sunday when I crawl back under the Jeep. Probably won't work, so I might go to Rivets.

Eliminating the hitch in the install of the bumper. With this bumper the skid to go on before I install the bumper.

It's scary, I am more excited about a new puppy than my boys. They are upset because they wanted one of the Black pups.

Thanks guys

Jason

JMotorsprt said:
Eliminating the hitch in the install of the bumper. With this bumper the skid to go on before I install the bumper.
Jason

I think I understand your comment as: The hitch is integrated with the bumper? And that the instructions say to put the skid on before the bumper?

What kind of bumper is it?

The skid should NEVER go on before the bumper. What is the rational?

Yes, I meant 4 hands and a floor jack :)

Michael

Due to the location of the nutstrips being covered, the skid has to go on first.

Went with Detours Slimline.

Bumper has hitch and tabs for D-rings.

Sarcastically mentioned this on another posting. Then thought further and thought I would toss it out there. Should I toss the idea out there to have a Pizza/Beer party in trade for working on my Jeep? I am the blind learning as I go on this thing. Taking forever.

Thanks guys
Jason

2xtreme said:
The first few times you do the rear skid it can be a real pain!! You should be able to rivet them into place to keep them in the right spot when you line up the bumper and skid. You do know that the hitch goes on first, then bumper, then skid right? or if the hitch is in the bumper obviously bumper then skid. They are not easy to line up but it can be done. Two hands can be very useful.

Michael

My hitch goes over the skid, Stock metal skid and hitch. C4x4 bumper over everything

Up at Reiter I hit the hitch fairly hard. So for better clearance, I am going to leave the hitch off. I have a hitch welded into the bumper.

Jason

Well, I guess there are some designs that recommend the bumper goes on after the skid.

I still do not understand any reason why this would be recommended.

I hold by my past response until someone proves to me that this is better. There is no way that having the skid between the hitch/bumper and the frame is good! Just my opinion.

So, Please help me understand why?

Jason,
Start by putting in the nutstrips. Line them up and pop rivet them to the rails so that they stay put. There should be 1 whole on each side for the rivets.
Then put up your next item (which ever way you want to do it) and hold it up in position with a floor jack or two. It can be helpfull here to have two people on their backs lining this up. If you put the bumper on first you will find that you can probably put two of the bolts in or more already that are not used for mounting the skid.
They put the skid up and hold it with a floor jack or just by hand and start threading bolts lightly till they are part way in.

YOu might find it easier to remove the rear section of exhaust pipe if it can be seperated from the front at the muffler.

HTH,
Michael

2xtreme said:
Well, I guess there are some designs that recommend the bumper goes on after the skid.

I hold by my past response until someone proves to me that this is better. There is no way that having the skid between the hitch/bumper and the frame is good! Just my opinion.

I think some were confused by 'bumper' when it's 'bumper bracket' for an aftermarket bumper. I know that I can't get my hitch/skid on/off without taking the bumper off first...but that's a stock bumper. ;) Aftermarket tie-ins go on first, like you described. :)

Not sure what you mean by hitch on first, then skid though. It's physically impossible for my factory combo to go on that way AND that's how I've always seen them mounted. :dunno:

Since you only need to go through the thickness of the frame rail and the gas tank skid, consider getting some shorter bolts, run them through the nut strip facing down, then fish the whole assembly to the correct position. Then use nuts from the bottom to hold your skid on. Might be easier.

Of course I finally welded the front of my skid onto the rig.

Like Phil said, there are aftermarket bumpers, mine included, that actually use a brace that goes into the body and replaces the nut strip. The skid then goes on afterward.

2xtreme said:

HTH,
Michael

Personaly I would want the thiner gauged metal trapped between the thicker
metal. Though in my opinion, I dont think it would make a difference.

As you can see in the first pic, if the hitch was first then the skid the skid would have to be bent up to the body or a washer stuck between the two, to fill the gap. I guess some hitches mounts are diffrent. Mines a draw-tite hitch.

100_1549.jpg

100_1547.jpg

100_1548.jpg

What I am going to try is to jam a Prybar on to the nutstrip and work with the bolt, and go get a rivet gun to add some support. I have been working on this bumper for three weeks, I want it done.

Jason

I stand corrected.

I have always been under the impression that the skid could go on top of the hitch (which I could remember which hitch I used to have on mine now).

Notice though in that pic, it is only the rear most bolt that actualy is on top of the skid, the rest are directly to the frame.

Anyway, Jason, best of luck. Sorry I can't give you a hand at the moment, my jeep isn't even close to running and I can guarantee my list is much longer than yours to get what I need to get done before SierraFest or NWFest/Sierra Fest.

Michael

PS. Have you tried assembling everything outside of the jeep to make sure it all goes together with no alignment issues?

Only alignment problem is that the skid plate mounting holes are a little off.

Everything else looks good. Just have to fish that one bolt through the nutstrip, and pick up a riveter.

Jason

After F...ing up my hip this week, Today was the first day where I felt comfortable. My brother came out to help me out. We continued to mess with the bolts until I final gave up and cut off my exhaust rear of my muffler.

I then started drilling a new hole on one side and sanding the other one out a little. Got too dark to continue. Haven't gotten any shop lights yet that I can work in the dark with. Crossing my fingers to get my brothers help again and be done with this and possibly the Rock sliders.

Jason

Back