• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 ax15

Rover/Scout

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys I am trying to put a 1994 ax15 in my 1990 comanche and I have run into a snag. the pilot bearing from the 94' cherokee is a different size o.d. than the 90'. 94' o.d. 1.001 90' o.d. 1.0546
have any of you guys done this retrofit and if so how did you over come this problem? does novak make a busing or bearing for this install problem?

thanks
doyle

I assume that's a new pilot bearing right? I don't think the input shaft changed, so you should be able to just get the pilot for a 1990.

the comanche is a 4.0, the ax15 is a 94. all I am finding for pilot bearings for the 90 are too small (id) for the ax15 shaft and the pilot bearing for the ax15 is is too small (od) for the crank on the 90 6cyl. yes the bearing is new, both of them.

There were two different pilot sizes for the AX-15 - the earlier ones (say, 1990 or so) were the same as the Peugeot BA-10/5, and the later ones were larger - about 7/8" or so.

The pilot bushing you want should be the one from the mid- to late-1970's CJ-series with AMC304 V8 and 3-speed manual. Expect it to cost about five bucks or so. Don't ask how I know all of this...

If you do a search for <Let this be THE Peugeot to AX-15 Swap Thread>, you should find all of this, as well as my own notes on the swap when I did it.

5-90

Back