• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaking! Please stop the squeaking!

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
There is this really annoying squeaking noise coming up from under my jeep. it sounds like an old rusty crank...like if you were to turn the wheel on the crank and the faster you turn it the louder and more consistant the squeaking is..and its driving me crazy its sounds like to me..a bad u joint in one or both of my driveshafts or a bad wheel bearing???..im not sure but i need to get this fixed! thanks and merry christmas.
Cory

check the u-joints on the rear driveshaft immediately, mine made consistant squeaking at anything faster than 5 mph. Got home and all the needle bearings were gone in 2 or 3 of the caps.

the problem is usually caused by the front d-shaft u-joint closest to the t-case.in my case it was locked up completley and if you would have tried to wiggle it to see if it was bad it would'nt have moved.jack up your front tire and spin it and you should hear the same noise,if you can even spin it that is.:sunshine:

if you're doing the u joint and don't have the tools to do the hub properly then leave the hub attached.
Pull the 3 13MM bolts, then pull the entire shaft out.
You need to undo the c clips on the u joints and then press them out.
You can beat them out with a hammer and sockets.
use a vise
or my favorite, a ball joint press.
check www.madxj.com
for a more detailed giude, or search u joint replacement, all u joints are the same, so a guide for a ford applies just the same.

Yeah I did it today with a slight problem, i took off everything wheel (obviously), brakes, hub, etc. Then pulled the shaft straight out. Brought it to napa to get it pressed out (friend told me i HAD to get it pressed out), came back half hour later and the guy said that I had the wrong ujoint (guy at autozone gave me one that was 1 1/16" which is from a 94-95 i think and i needed 1 3/16" but by that time the guy left so now I have my jeep sitting in my mom's garage till i can go tomorrow morning to finish the rest....is there anything else i should do as far as putting everything back in? Im going to put the axle as straight as possibly but is there a possibility of messing up the seal or anything? Thanks in advance.

BBeach said:
is there anything else i should do as far as putting everything back in? Im going to put the axle as straight as possibly but is there a possibility of messing up the seal or anything? Thanks in advance.
Clean the axle off up to the mark the seal left then apply a liberal coat of grease. It will help prevent any undo shaffing of the seal when you put it back in.

Back