• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding the D30 Front

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody welded their D30 front end? I have alloy shafts and just put in full circle clip U joints. Just wondering because I think it'd be somewhat of a waste to spend money on a locker because I am in the process of building up a D44 Wagoneer front and nobody makes a spool for a D30.

I know that the spider gears need to be welded but how is it done? Welding the gears together, or adding in additional pieces of metal between the gears? Does the carrier need to be pulled or can it be left in place? I tried searching but had no real luck.

Thanks for the help

Zoro said:
Has anybody welded their D30 front end? I have alloy shafts and just put in full circle clip U joints. Just wondering because I think it'd be somewhat of a waste to spend money on a locker because I am in the process of building up a D44 Wagoneer front and nobody makes a spool for a D30.

I know that the spider gears need to be welded but how is it done? Welding the gears together, or adding in additional pieces of metal between the gears? Does the carrier need to be pulled or can it be left in place? I tried searching but had no real luck.

Thanks for the help

Do you have a vacuum disconnect? Its gonna turn sa-weet otherwise. No additional metal is needed to weld them either. It can be welded in the carrier too.

Do you plan on trying to sell the D30 when the 44 goes in? With alloy shafts and an Aussie or Lock Right in there you'll get a decent buck but if you weld it you won't get squat. I think there is a reason why there is no info on welding the 30; not many people do unless maybe it's a trashing trail rig only. HTH

This is on a daily driven rig, dunno if I'll be selling it afterwards. I'm going to add in an FSJ 4WD vacuum switch so I can turn one wheel 'on' or 'off' and use the vacuum disco to my advantage so when I pull the OEM lever back only one wheel is powered.

So I won't feel it out on the street while turning since one wheel will be discoed, right? Any good write-ups out there that show the method to this or is it perty much self explanitory once the diff is opened up?

Like was just said, there are no write ups because no one does it.......or very few. Where do you live? I have a strict rule for myself that I won't get on any trail with someone who has a welded D30. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

Zoro said:

Thanks for the help

This may or may not have been covered, but your "Lincoln" Locker is only as good as your welding. My advise would be not to do it! When it goes they typically take it all with it.

I'm only out in Bakersfield once or twice a year so you don't have to worry about me.

I'm only looking for a temporary low cost solution until my D44 goes in.

Zoro said:
I'm only out in Bakersfield once or twice a year so you don't have to worry about me.

I'm only looking for a temporary low cost solution until my D44 goes in.

200 bucks isnt low cost??? other wise leave it open.

I ran welded for a couple years on a daily driven rig with 33" TSL's (Not my daily driving tires..I used others for the street) and a disconnect style front axle. I had used a pneumatic toggle switch on the disconnect so I could switch it manually.

On try roads in 2wd it was invisible because of the disconnect. The biggest problem I had which is what caused me to put in a lockright instead occured during the winter. When in 4wd in snow if I had the front axle shaft disconnect engaged the front would be fully locked and cause nasty understeer. If I disengaged the disconnect the front driver side tire would still be directly coupled to the rear tires and drivetrain in 4wd so it would pull the truck left and right as you let off and on the throttle respectively. Either way the winter characterisitcs were less than ideal.

why not just wait a bit until the 44 is ready? if you do that you may be able to see that 30 hat is not trashed to re-coupe some of th ost of the bulit 44... not trying to sound like your dad but why half ass it and risk it leaving you sit?

xyjbeaker said:
why not just wait a bit until the 44 is ready? if you do that you may be able to see that 30 hat is not trashed to re-coupe some of th ost of the bulit 44... not trying to sound like your dad but why half ass it and risk it leaving you sit?

x2... just leave it open. i welded my 30 and got a lockright about 2 weeks later. the jeep just sucked to drive welded in my opinon

Zoro said:
I have alloy shafts and just put in full circle clip U joints.
Thanks for the help

Can you tell me about the full circle clips?
Is there a particular size, brand, style that you used?
Where did you find them?
I don't know anything about them and I'd appreciate anything you can tell me because I may be doing it soon.
Thanks.

falcon556 said:
Where did you find them?
I don't know anything about them and I'd appreciate anything you can tell me because I may be doing it soon.
Thanks.
Had to shave out arround the inside of the yoke a bit to make room for the new clips, I believe if you search on here for 297X u-joints you'll find some info about it.

falcon556 said:
Where did you find them?
Thanks.
Call Randys Ring and Pinion. Tell them you need 8 full circle clips for a 760 u joint. That easy.

Back