• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inop window switches

leadfoot77

NAXJA Forum User
i know i've read a post on this b4 but now i can find it.. i have a 01 limited and all my passenger windows will not work from there switch it will work from driver door master switch. now sometimes they will work but breifly and only work when switch light is on.. now i've been told its the controller which i belive or a bad ground which i dont belive.. more stuff wouldn't work if it was a bad ground Right? but if any one could point me in the right direction and tip me off here it would be gr8..

Thanks
Steve

leadfoot77 said:
but if any one could point me in the right direction and tip me off here it would be gr8..

It's fairly common on 2000 and 2001 XJs for the window lock switch in the driver's switch cluster to fail - my 2000 has that problem, but my '01 escaped that fate for some reason. In any event, the options are either a) replace it with a new switch cluster (pricey and may fail again in the future), b) take it out and clean the switches (again, wait for it to fail), or c) bypass the window lock altogether; some searching should dig up the thread in which this was discussed a couple of weeks ago.

FWIW, I'm taking option b) - yeah, I'll probably have to end up cleaning it again in a year or two, but some dielectric grease should help with that - and it's certainly cheaper than a), and I'd like to have the window lock remain functional.

Back