• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear back up lights.

JEEPTUBE

NAXJA Forum User
I have been experiencing some probs with my back up lights. When i put it in reverse the back up lights are not coming on all the time only sometimes. The tranny is engaging like normal so could this just be a wiring issue?
I have a 97 with an AW4.:confused1

JEEPTUBE said:
I have been experiencing some probs with my back up lights. When i put it in reverse the back up lights are not coming on all the time only sometimes. The tranny is engaging like normal so could this just be a wiring issue?
I have a 97 with an AW4.:confused1

It could mean either your neutral safety switch is going bad, very dirty, or out of adjustment, I would suggest searching for neutral safety switch, there are several good writeups and other info here and on other boards.

The NSS should be on the PAX side of the transmission, opposite where the shift shaft enters on the driver's side.

Cleaning the NSS is relatively simple - but I do suggest you remove the screws from the switch case, put the case in a bag big enough for both hands to go into as well, and THEN open the case. There are two copper contacts in there that are spring-loaded, and it's easy for one to go flying (I lost both when I first did one, and had to make them from scratch.)

I think MadXJ has a writeup on how to do it - go to www.madxj.com and search for it, or just Google it from scratch. Either way, there ARE writeups out there, and most of them have pix.

Only things I'd change?

1) Relube the switch with a LIGHT layer of Ox-Gard upon reassembly. Not too much...
2) Use a THIN smear of RTV black on one case half mating surface, THEN screw them together. It should help keep yock out for a few years.

Also, if you search for my posts on "NSS" or "Neutral Safety Switch" here, you should find some pointers on exactly how to remove the thing - borne of experience. I just don't feel like going into it again - I've covered it a couple times in June, I think, and that should buy me a break...

The NSS is easily identified by having a "quarter round" shape with the shift shaft going through it. The circle, if compleat, would have a radius of about three inches. Also, there are TWO fasteners that want to be removed - a small bolt at the top (used to adjust the thing) and a collet nut around the shift shaft proper.

5-90

Starscream918 said:

Just used that write up a about 3 weeks ago to clean the NSS on my bosses 98XJ. Very useful write up. Just follow the directions and you will not have any problems. very very very easy job and will save you a crap load of money. Took me about an hour of my time, and that was taking my time and moving slow.

I gave up on the stock switch. (I love deep water) I'm using the stock foglight switch for the backups.

Back