• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 t4 to ax15 + np231 swap

autocrossxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just picked up a 86 xj w/ 2.5 4 banger, t4 4speed manual, and np 207 transfer case for $75 The engine runs excellent but after beating on the thing for awhile the tranny is on its way out and the np207 grinds alot (chains probably skipping teeth) and doesn't go into 4 lo anymore. Basically i want to upgrade and not rebuild the pos 86 driveline while retaining the 2.5. I tried to search for this stuff but didn't find much info for 2.5's

anyway my question is will an ax15 and np231 out of a 4.0 cherokee work ( i am not sure if this tranny for the 2.5 is the same as the 4.0 one) I also don't care about the vacuum actuator swith on the t-case because it already has 4x4 posilock cable actuator. if they are the same would there be any reason not to run the 23 spline versions of the tranny and t-case

thanks,
chuck

Comon guys i need these answers to. I am thinking of changeing my 207 to a 231 with the 5 speed manual shift can it be done and do i have to find the 231 from a 5 speed cherokee not an auto. I have the AX 15 already. my waggy is a 1986 wagoneer with the ax15 and the 207 case.

Most will say an AX-15 will not work on the 2.5L. There was a guy who worked out the matching over on Pirate4x4 about a year or two ago. Do a search over there. Beware, they are not noobie friendly. Do a search, do not simply post up the question.

As for an NP207 swap to a NP231. They will mate up as long as you match the spline count. The catch is that the driveshaft on the front has a different mounting. By the way, the rear driveshaft is a different length by about an inch. I don't remember which way. It was about 8 years ago when I first did the swap.

Thanks old man, i found the page at pirate 4x4, here it is if anyone else plans on trying this:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181361&page=1&pp=25&highlight=ax-5+swap

I really really didn't want to rebuild the t4 or ax4 pos in the xj cause i know i will just break the thing right away, and it seems the ax5 isn't any better. I'm going to start this swap in a few weeks when i have some extra time on my hands because it seems fairly straitforward.

I saw a pic on a site of a AX5 and a AX15 man they both looked the same except for one thing the shift arm coming out of the top the AX5 had a straight arm and the AX15 had one that was kinda s shaped. here is the link what do you guys think http://tbtrans.com/manual_transmission.htm because mine has the s shaped handle.:dunno:

yes they do look similar but the ax5 is known to break under 120hp conditions alot, while the ax 15 has stood up to 300hp 4.0s. this is why I don't want to put an ax5 in my xj- it WILL break wiht me driving.

So i wonder how to tell the diffrence, Dont know but maybe you could just change the shift arm assembly. The reason i ask is because i am thinking of changing my transfer case also. Well i guess i will wait to see more posts here and hear from the masses on this.

The AX15 is about 50% bigger than the AX4/5. While they look similar in shape, the size difference is significant.

Back