• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I replace the speedo cable?

craigincali said:
I need to place my speedometer cable.....how do I get behind the dash to replace it??
Depending on what model you have...and where your cable is broken you may just be able to replace an intermediate part of it. The cable pushes into the transfer case and runs all the way up to the cluster. On models with cruise control, if it's just broken at the gauge cluster, you can just replace the short piece that goes from the cruise control deal (which is just inside the firewall) to the cluster. It's about a 6" long piece. Otherwise if the whole thing needs replacing you have to take it loose down at the transfer case, pull the dash bezel, pull the cluster, and push the cable out the firewall grommet.

I did what you said, I got to it no prob. The only thing that bugs me now is that it all looks fine. My speedo doesnt work and the cable is hooked up right (as fas as I can tell)......I dont have cruise control

craigincali said:
I did what you said, I got to it no prob. The only thing that bugs me now is that it all looks fine. My speedo doesnt work and the cable is hooked up right (as fas as I can tell)......I dont have cruise control

There are other possibilities here. Let's start with the basics: what year is your XJ, which transmission does it have, and which transfer case (yes, this could be important in this case)?

craigincali said:
'87 w/ a 5 Spd Ax-15 w/ NV 231 Transfer Case ....I appreciate the help!!
If it looks fine physically on the outside it could be that it's got broken internals. Normally I would just say hit up a junkyard and get another one but finding an AX-15/NV231 combo might be challenging. I would take the cluster out and drive it around the block. See if the inside of the speedo cable turns when you're moving.

Hook up a drill to the end at the t-case and see if the speedo moves. If it does, the piece that goes into the t-case might have turned and lost engagement to the output shaft. If it doesn't turn, you'll need to replace the cable, the easiest way is to leave the sheething there and just replace the metal cable inside. I bought mine at AutoZone for $15 a few years ago, just pulled the cable out of the case, and pushed the new one in. Its worked fine since.

Back