• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93+ to '90 Parts Swap

canadian_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering where the best place to find out what year parts can

be interchanged? Mainly interior parts. I have a '90 Limited and have found

a great donor vehicle at the wreckers. It's a '93 Country. Is there some sort

of guide or such? Would most parts from the '93 bolt right into the '90? I

have been searching but it is exhausting trying to find out if every little part

is interchangable. From what I have read so far I believe that I can swap

out the seats, center console, dash trim, door trim and some switches.

Please correct me if I am wrong. My Jeep's last owner was quite abusive to

it. I am just trying to make things right!! Thanks alot guys!!

most all of the body parts will bolt right in.
all of the underhood electrical is different, most of the interior electrical is different.
a 4.0 is a 4.0, but the Ho has a different intake than the renix.
suspension parts are the same.
axle parts MAY be interchangable, that depends on what axles are under both rigs.

You'll be fine with seats, door trim, dash plastic, consoles, etc. Most switches, interior lights and the steering column and its associated stalks. Body hardware, fenders, glass, bumpers, mirrors, hatch and lights will all fit, though hatch wiring might differ. Grille probably will not unless you replace the whole front bezel. Instrument cluster will be incompatible, and most behind-dash wiring as well, but relays and such will swap. Heater, fan, and its controls should swap. I'm pretty sure the seatbelts will be the same.

Probably a different roof rack design and an intermittent rear wiper.

Mechanically, as mentioned, head difference, cooling system different, all engine electronics different. Starter will swap. Alternator will not. Running gear will depend on many factors, but might. I think the brake booster design changed between 90 and 93, and if so the 93 might be a good donor for an upgraded booster, though I hear it's a lot of work.

Thanks for the reply guys!! I was wondering if the power lock solenoids would work? The rear wiper motor won't work? The front and the rear seats should bolt in though right.....even if the are power?

canadian_xj said:
Thanks for the reply guys!! I was wondering if the power lock solenoids would work? The rear wiper motor won't work? The front and the rear seats should bolt in though right.....even if the are power?

I'm just guessing, but I bet the lock solenoids will work. At least they'll fit the doors physically, and might plug right in. It may depend on what options the 90 has. Different option packages seem to have brought with them different wiring harness options. I know on my 87 Pioneer, which had some but not all of the deluxe interior options, there were some other empty plugs for the ones I didn't have. But on the base stripper 89 I took apart, some of those harnesses weren't there at all. You'll have to look to see what you have, but since the 90 is a Limited, it may be pretty well wired.

The rear wiper will probably work, but again you may have to figure out the connections. The physical mounting will be the same. The intermittent wiper has the intermittent function built in, but is designed to bypass it when you push the washer button. I think it has an extra connection. If the 90 has only a run connection for the motor, I think you'll have either to skip the intermittent function or have it always intermittent even when you wash, unless you want to get really fancy and add a wire all the way forward to the switch. If you're replacing a rear wiper, do yourself a favor, and open up the new one and grease its output shaft before it seizes.

The seats should bolt right in, and it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to get power to them if it isn't already there.

I guess that all answers my question for swapping parts from a 94 to a 90. If I were to swap the engine from the 94 into the 90 am I looking at taking everything including the computer from the 94 and putting into the 90 or will the intake from the 90 fit onto the block and head of the 94 essentially converting the 94 HO into the Renix?

Back