• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM tstat vs. Stant Superstat?

I dont know what the Super stat is.But if is a balanced flow stat like the Robertshaw stat then I do have an opinion,With everything in the cooling system the same,the stock 195* stat has my engine at 210*, With the Robertshaw "Balanced Flow" stat it will run 195*
I do run a Flowkooler water pump and a large 2 core rad.
Wayne

Stant manufactures for several OEM companies. You might just be getting a stant from OEM also. As for stant superstat compared to regular, I haven't ever noticed a difference however, I've always sprung for the super since it was only a few bucks more. As for failing in the open position, I don't recall it doing that, the failsafe model sounds like the brand that does that.

According to stant the super has a "V" notch that allows small initial flow before warmup. http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=205&location_id=168

When I buy them at kragens, most of the models tend to be US made also, so that's another plus for stant.

Yes, the V notch. I installed it with one of the little "V"s at the 12 o'clock position.

Is that correct?

Regular thermostats have the little hole that you install at the 12 o'clock position, so I assume these notches are the same thing.....right?

Fail Safe's suck! If for some reason your cherokee gets hot one time 220+ then the thermostat is locked out and you have to buy a new one. Just buy the 3.99 one from autozone or Oreillys(my area) with stock temperature setting 195 i believe and you should have no problems.

Really, I thought the spring was backwards so if it seized up it would be open vs. closed......didn't think it had to do anything with temperature? Could be wrong, never held one.

Back