• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35s and 3" of lift

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
In anticipation of the 35" MT tires I knew I'd be getting this summer, I've trimed probably more than I should out of the rear fenders and bolted on some TJ Rubicon flares. Right now I'm running 31" ATs with a true 3" of lift according to the dirty method of measuring lift with 9" from the top of my axle tubes to the bottom of the frame.

I noticed that there was a lot more room so just for kicks I tried throwing on the two 35s I have so far on the rear and now I'm wondering if I really want to go to the 5.5" lift I had originally planned on. I'm a function before form kind of guy and want as low a COG as possible but don't want to spend my entire day on the bumpstops (which have been spaced 1.5" down, by the way). So I guess my question is, how much uptravel do I really need? I don't go bombing through the desert fully loaded for a week of camping. But I don't crawl around everywhere either.

Here is a couple pics to help you see what I'm talking about. I have 6" of clearance before the tires would hit the fender and 5" of clearance from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the bumpstop.

35swith3inchlift.jpg

35sClearance.jpg

Last edited:
i mean 5.5 lift will give u more flex

but if u can stay low and run 35's then that works man

by the way it looks good

dont forget to bumpstop it good!

cas

Just ask yourself.. do you need the flex? Because, as it sits right now, those tires are going to give you plenty of clearance. Just you will have a tippy ride if you plan on taking it through rocks.

Personally, I do a lot of mudding. And that would look, and work very well. But I went with a 6.5" lift anyways. Just because. :D

cassio said:
dont forget to bumpstop it good!

So far, I've just dropped the rear bumpstops 1.5". As is, the bumpstop will have to compress 1" before the tire will contact the fender. I imagine that will slow the tire enough that any rubbing will not be a tire shredding experience.

Israel said:
So far, I've just dropped the rear bumpstops 1.5". As is, the bumpstop will have to compress 1" before the tire will contact the fender. I imagine that will slow the tire enough that any rubbing will not be a tire shredding experience.

Don't forget that when you articulate the axle the tire will actually travel up more. The more down travel you have the worse it will be.

That's about what I ran with 3" and 33's. You may need a little more.

I think what you have there works...infact, that's a pretty decent setup. Try to find somewhere where you can flex bit by bit to figure out your exact clearances the you can adjust accordingly and you're off to the trails.

Sean

With how much you've cut, going to 5.5"s is going to make those 35's look tiny. It looks good, I say leave it, or at the most throw in some spacers and go another .5-1"

I think it's going to hit more than you think. Check it on the front and back of the fender opening...etc. Bring it over and we'll flex it out with two of my BFG's on it.

Just curious. Did you get in the seam when you cut? :(

BrettM said:
I would consider bumping it up another inch, but definitley not 2.5 inches.
x2

I think I'm going to go with Lincoln and Brett's suggestion for another inch and try the S10/Dakota leaf setup to see if that gets me in the 4" range. I have a set of 4.5" RE coils for the front that I'll be throwing in tomorrow and with some generous trimming to match, hopefully it will be a fairly balanced setup.

pottenger said:
Just curious. Did you get in the seam when you cut?

I cut past the spot welds in the seam if that's what you mean. The spot welds are still intact, they are just now folded up into the wheel well. Not nearly as strong, I'm sure, but once the sawzall came out, it was hard to hold back.

passxj said:
I think it's going to hit more than you think. Check it on the front and back of the fender opening...etc. Bring it over and we'll flex it out with two of my BFG's on it.

I plan on cutting and folding the rear quarter panel to open up the back a little, but who knows how much it will help or even if I'm fine where I'm at. I'll have to finish up the front and take you up on your offer sometime soon. Thanks!

Back