• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Coils on XJ

Fozzy

NAXJA Forum User
i had a quick question that i couldnt find a good answer for doing a search. will putting stock ZJ front coils under my XJ give me any lift? Im looking for a little, maybe around 1.5".

Stock ZJ "V8" springs will give lift. I got an inch out of mine. If all you want is an inch, get spacers. The ZJs will give lift because of the higher spring rate. They are stiffer. They feel good. If you have added a leaf to your rear from something then it balances well. There are easier ways to get 1.5" if that is all you want. If you want some V8 springs, you can buy mine. I still have them.

You will not get 2" from ZJ V8 springs alone. I got an inch and I pulled mine from a V8 myself. I added a inch spacer for my 2" BB. I still have the spacers too. I have since went to a 4" lift.

Should give you about an inch. You can also use additional spring isolators for about 3/4" per spacer. Those are the rubber donuts at the top of the spring, they are cone shaped and can be stacked to add lift. Dealership parts department has them for about $10 each.

hmm, some food for thought then. what about f-150 coils? i have heard of people using these before as well. im tryign to avoid spacers if possible. and i wll be building a new leaf pack for the rear.

You need to be carefull with this line of thought. The ZJs felt good. I thought better than the stock ones. Just a little firmer. I didn't have any bumpers or winches on the front either. I added a cut main leaf to my rear and a shackle. With everything I had a nice feeling 2.5" BB.

But going to stiffer springs for lift is going to bite you. They will be harsh as crap. I was more happy with the spring rate from my ZJs than I was from the 1 inch of lift. Anything stiffer would be too much though. Adding full size truck springs would be too much I think. Maybe some one else would have some experience with other springs. Choose spring rate for spring rate. If you want lift, add spacers or get longer springs. Just my .02

well based on what you just said the f-150 springs are out. i do alot of freeway travel so i def need a smooth ride. ill probably end up with ZJ springs, esp if i can find a pair around my house.

why dont you like spacers? im runnin 2" Teraflex spacers and they do just fine

Variable rate 4WD V8 ZJ coils gave me almost 2" up front on my '90 4L XJ. The stock suspension was beat tho so I'm sure it was sagging to begin with. Got a local spring shop to re-arch and add a leaf to the rear to even things out. Very happy with the ride-not as plush as stock (to be expected) but I made sure to explain to the guys at the spring shop that ride quality was just as important as the lift.

Maybe the condition of the original springs are accounting for the differences in lift mentioned. I have RE's 1341 springs in front (nominally 3.5" lift for ZJ), and I got just over 5" of lift in the front (right about 5" now after 2 months and new bumpers). Not exactly an apples to apples comparison I know. I'm pretty sure my fronts were a little saggy before, because the Jeep sat pretty level and the rears were slightly inverted before the lift ('97 XJ, 105k miles).

I got 1.25" from my V8 ZJ springs but I dont think they were UpCountry springs. They dropped down to 1" when I put the winch on.

Blaine B. said:
Right, Upcountry gives an additional inch so do the math.

Thats Ok, you can do the math, I'll just watch.

Crawler said:
You will if you get them out of a '98 Limited with the 5.9 litre V8 engine.

Where do you think I got mine from. I always have heard the 2" claim, but never seen the proof. I got 1.25" exactly.

At first it was more but things settled a bit. I thought I had a good 1.5" and w/ my spacer had a 2.5" BB. My measurements were before and after though, not difference from stock. When I measured difference from stock, all I had was 1.5" and 3/4 of that was spacer. People can throw numbers around, but I know exactly what I had before and after, and over stock. I know plenty of others that have done the same with the same results.

Again, I was happier from the spring rate than I was from the lift.

Here is the measuring link

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26622

Blaine B. said:
I do know for a fact that ZJ Upcountry springs add an inch more.

That I don't doubt, but how many of those are there laying around. If that was a standard thing then everyone would have them like only using front shafts from an auto to use for a rear shaft. In all my research I haven't seen anyone using ZJ V8 upcountry springs. I would think they are rare. I'm not arguing though. Just cause "I" never thought of it doesn't mean others haven't done it. If you came across some I would say it was "BRILLIANT" That would be an excellent swap.

Powerman said:
" Where do you think I got mine from. I always have heard the 2" claim, but never seen the proof. I got 1.25" exactly...

Apparently out of a 5.2 litre. I got a full 2" out of my 5.9 coils, and no settling. Have a nice day... ;^]

Back