• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 to 242 swap?

I did just the opposite, i took a 231 from an 88' with a ba10 and replaced the 242 that was in a different 88' with an auto. the 231 slipped right in.

However going the other way is a littel harder. Command trac 4x4 (231) has a vacuum disconnected passenger side axle in the front, which is accuated by a vacuum valve on the 231 t-case. Selec-trac (242) has a solid front axle and no vacuum valve on the t-case. So inorder to make it work you would have to do one of two things. my suggestion would be to by the cable accuator kit so that you can engage the front axle with a cable and lever. The other option would be to either rig up a vacuum valve in cab or see if there is a way to mount the vacuum valve to the 242 t-case.

Good luck

Jerms

laneends said:
I want to have the full-time option on my cherokee, I have the BA-10 tranny (i think) and i want to know what i have to change, if anything to put the 242 t-case on.

well first you need to confirm the tranny and not get ahead of your self. I dont have a 242 yet but have a bunch of links i can share with ya, all detail 242 to 231 with aw4 auto swap, or the reverse 231 to 242 with aw4. I was under the impression vaguely that the 242 wasnt available on 5 speeds for some reason i cannot rember. Not sure its a route to go i think there was to much slipage involved or something. Never really thought about it as i love the aw4 its a tight stout bullitproof tranny.

Take a picture or your tranny and post up, or search on a tranny id picture to confirm what you have please.

Back