• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

porc sye???

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

i need a SYE soon and was looking and saw PORC makes a full HD SYE for only 170. my t-case shifter, is 2-4hi-n-4lo. and its a 95, so do i have the 242, or the 231 t-case. also for driveshafts what should i do. i have about 5-5.5 inches of lift. would a front drive shaft work or not??

also how hard are they to install. ive done all the work from lifts, to lunchbox lockers on my jeep, but this looked like it might take the cake on the hardness scale:compwork:

You have a 231 transfer case.

After purchasing the PORC and if I were able to do it again, I would get someone elses even at more cost. I haven't been happy with the quality of the unit. Biggest issue is I've put in 3 seals and they continue to leak. I wasn't born yesterday and know all the do's, don'ts and how to's on a seal installation. I had to elongate the holes on the cover to get it to index properly. But this is just my opinion on that issue. The instructions for the PORC has you pulling the TC. IMO, you don't need to and I have subsequently done the changeover with the TC on the vehicle. Lots easier, but you do need some good, safe working room and allow for a day the first time.

I'm at 5" and a front DS has worked perfectly for me on the Chr 8.25.

My brothers was perfect!!! He took out the t-case to install it. He loves his and has beat on it rather hard!!-------Kyle

I personaly used the Advanced Adapters SYE in my NP231J and its been great.

rstarch345 said:
You have a 231 transfer case.

After purchasing the PORC and if I were able to do it again, I would get someone elses even at more cost. I haven't been happy with the quality of the unit. Biggest issue is I've put in 3 seals and they continue to leak. I wasn't born yesterday and know all the do's, don'ts and how to's on a seal installation. I had to elongate the holes on the cover to get it to index properly. But this is just my opinion on that issue. The instructions for the PORC has you pulling the TC. IMO, you don't need to and I have subsequently done the changeover with the TC on the vehicle. Lots easier, but you do need some good, safe working room and allow for a day the first time.

I'm at 5" and a front DS has worked perfectly for me on the Chr 8.25.

my PORC fit just fine. In fact, PORC put the seal in themselves, I got it shipped that way. I use a front shaft with my Dana 35, but I only have 4.5". It is almost fully extended though, and I will get it lengthened, but I still got it on :D

The install on a SYE is not too bad. It was intimidating at first, and part way through I was thinking "I can't believe I have taken my t-case apart". It wasn't too bad though. Just follow the instructions carefully and take your time. Since I did mine, I helped my buddy do his, and it went even faster the 2nd time around. I left the t-case in the Jeep on both of them I did too.

Just make sure you have the right tools for it before you get going. The lock ring pliers is the key! (not snap rings) Something like these http://www.stridetool.com/tools/retaining_pliers/tippliers_06.html

I run the Rubicon express hack n tap, I love it. I have tried to break it, but cant. Another plus is its cheap, simple, and you can use junk yard front drive shafts with a 1310 flange installed for your rear d.s. I havent heard of anyone who runs this that has a complaint.

Chattxj said:
So the porc sye doesnt come with a drive shaft? But you can use a front xj ds for the rear with the sye?

No, the SYE kits dont come with driveshafts. I am not sure you can use the front ds with a "normal" SYE, because the output shaft is longer than the RE flange.

Zj's are just stronger, I believe, not longer. Go with a front XJ one, you get em for ~$40, then get it lengthened for $50-70. Less than a custom one.

I wish my seal would leak so i'd have a reason to dig into the t-case again! this has been one of my favourite installs. The lifted rig is nice as you can easily do it with t-case in. Next time i'm in there though the 2low and 4:1 are going in...if the seal leaks! lol
NEVER use PORC's instructions alone....they suck. Download the Advance Adapters one and use the PORC one just for a sh!tty reference.
The PORC case, the one Jeepin' Outfitters sells and possibly others sell the Omix-Ada SYE. It's a very sweet unit at a great price.

To the fellow with the RE hack n tap don't try too hard to break it, you still have the factory shaft in your t-case, don't want that as possibly the weak link. For the extra 80 or 90 bucks, get the real HD SYE.

-B

boomhauer said:
To the fellow with the RE hack n tap don't try too hard to break it, you still have the factory shaft in your t-case, don't want that as possibly the weak link. For the extra 80 or 90 bucks, get the real HD SYE.

I know its not the 32 spline gauranteed for life output shaft, but my main concern was cost. I bought the flange used, and I was able to convert a stock front ds for about $130 with all new spicer components, instead of having a custom shaft made. There are also many junk output shafts for easy replacement if/when it does break. Im only running 35's, but its held up just fine....and I would recommend it to anyone. BTW, my brother has the PORC SYE on his tj, with no problems to report.

Back