• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ocotillo Wells, 12/28 - 30

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member

Is anybody going to be out that way after Christmas? My eldest son is trying very hard to drag Ethan and I out there the 28th, 29 and 30th. Yes, this year, whatever it is. We’ll be taking the bikes out and, of course I’ll be taking the XJ. At least the weather looks like it will be nice.
I have never been there so I am not entirely sure what to expect.

TIM

Jump This said:
Expect to have fun!
I will home then, if the Jeep is up and running by then we should hook up. I know a good crawler trail out there.
Rick

Got GPS coordinates, or some other description that would allow me to find it? I have a sidekick, if it’s on it that is.

I might sell you the coordinates (its a top secret location :shhh:.)
33*09'57.19"N 116*09' 13.20" W
That is the start, follow the shadow up the canyon.
Its short but fun!
If you look around that area you might notice some old
trails around that are also fun to lock into.
The backside of blowsand has an ancient trail up it.
Just look around with Google Earth and check it out.
Rick

So does this mean you don't wanna' wheel with ME? :bawl:

Jump This said:
So does this mean you don't wanna' wheel with ME? :bawl:
Dry your eyes; I did not say that at all. Sheesh! I was just thinking that on the off chance that we didn’t hook up, (don’t tell your wife) that I could still have a good time. ;)
:sure:

:D
Tim

I will be doing Fish Creek from Banner on the 29th, O.W. never seemed that great, gets old driving over constant whopptiedoos left by the ATV crowds.

MongoXJ said:
I will be doing Fish Creek from Banner on the 29th, O.W. never seemed that great, gets old driving over constant whopptiedoos left by the ATV crowds.

Stop ya' stivvvvvelllin'!
The washes are smooth...
Whoops are mostly on the main side roads, they grade (scrape) some of the others. I am suprised how good of condition the roads are in.
But you probably complain about dust too.....DON'T YOU??????

JohnX said:
Where exactly will you be? :D
Not sure other than sleepin' in Richards toy box. :D I'll ask him if he has an area in mind.

JohnX said:
Where exactly will you be? :D

Off Pole Line Road.
I imagine it runs the wrong way, seeing as how it was named after ...well, we all know who.

:gag:

I know where that is. Stayed there a couple months ago. I will try to make it out there with the Heep and the Bike. I would look for your Jeep? Let me know what time and day you will be leaving too.

JohnX said:
I know where that is. Stayed there a couple months ago. I will try to make it out there with the Heep and the Bike. I would look for your Jeep? Let me know what time and day you will be leaving too.
We're heading out the morning of the 28th. Richard is involved so it won't be super early. The plan is to head back home mid-day on the 30th. I'll be taking the XJ. I still haven't got the chance to get my daughter in law out for any crawling, which could be entertaining. She was a laugh riding in the XJ on the dunes our last trip up to Pismo.:roflmao:
As far as a paddle goes, I'm swapping it out before we head out. Dammmit, I've got to re-jet the crab too. No biggie, though, carb's already tore down.

Last edited:
Jump This said:
Stop ya' stivvvvvelllin'!
The washes are smooth...
Whoops are mostly on the main side roads, they grade (scrape) some of the others. I am suprised how good of condition the roads are in.
But you probably complain about dust too.....DON'T YOU??????

How did you know? I have to pack 4 bottles of windex and a duffel bag of towels to keep the dust under control, I mean seriously I dont know how you guys do it. It's EVERYWHERE! :D

hey i want to head out to ocotillo wells, i have never been. I am not up for crawling, i got a 2wd. Im looking for the open desert. How far is it from san diego?

johnjeep said:
How far is it from san diego?
Google Maps?

Really, though, I'm not sure.

johnjeep said:
hey i want to head out to ocotillo wells, i have never been. I am not up for crawling, i got a 2wd. Im looking for the open desert. How far is it from san diego?

Where in San Diego?
Its not more than two hours from downtown SD.
Check out Google Earth and it will give you a bettor idea of location....

I'm heading out, finally.
OCD slows things down a bit. It's a PITA, but I can't help it. :dunno:

I'll be on channel 4.

Rollin out today for Fish Creek, ill see if I can raise you on 4 when we get down into the wells area, though my radio isnt overly powerful so doubt it :p

Back