• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Somewhere with snow saturday for kids?

silverslk

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can take some kids to play in the snow. Somewhere without a grip of people. I want to take my wife and some of her family out in the XJ to see the snow.

Thanks
Andy

Basically everywhere up there is clear of snow road wise, your gonna need to go off towards backroadish areas. I would probably say head towards Fawnskin and at the triangle at the firestation head like your going to Hanna Flats and find somewhere to play out there. There really should be any people out there and youll stay away from the dirty roadside snow like all the other flat landers. Have fun.
-Allen

Andy
there are tons of places with snow right now hell if you want a area where you can stay on pavement and still get great snow head up to wright wood its near the cleghorn trail. up the 15 off at 138 make a left and go about 10 miles to hyway 2 and follow it up stop wherever you wana. or take 2 up past mountain high till the road forks main road continues up a ways take the side road towards jackson lake and avoid many of the snow bunnies. the previous post was talking about big bear

silverslk said:
Does anyone know where I can take some kids to play in the snow. Somewhere without a grip of people. I want to take my wife and some of her family out in the XJ to see the snow.

Thanks
Andy

i might take my kids up there tomorrow , i find out for sure later and i will let you know the back side of the fire station is nice and clear with alot of snow i am sure

silverslk said:

Thanks
Andy

ok will be at big bear withh the kids tomorrow,p m me if you want to meet some where and we go to the back side of the mounts, and let them play

silverslk said:
help me.... I dont know where those places are.

Andy... right now, the only place locally with snow is the San Bernadino Mountains. Fawnskin is on the North shore of Big Bear Lake.

Slightly east of Big Bear Lake is the community of Lake Arrowhead and there usually snow to be found up there as well.

On the other side of I-15 in the Angeles National Forest is Wrightwood, home to many ski resorts.

Head to whichever is closest to you.

Hey, Andy you're probably not up to read this (it's kind of late) but, me and a bunch of guys are going up to Big Bear in the morning. Were going up from the north end, through Victorville and Lucerene. We'll be running up above Baldwin Dry Lake by the old Lucky Baldwin mine, nothing radical. You're welcome to join us, we should be up there around 10ish or so. Call me in the morning @ 626-221-0430 if you're interested. I'll be up around 7:30 am, we'll be in Toyotas and one Bronco and on channel 16. Hope you can make it---------Hans

google for
Thomas mountain.
its just east of Lake Hemet
elevation is about 6600' I think.
when all the local hills are packed, this is where I go. I usually drive in the hard way from Cahilla.
been up there in the snow. no CHP requiring chains on wet pavement especially from the south. drive in 1' deep snow making your own tracks, can push 2' on the north side slopes near the peak. when Laguna and palomar are getting shut down from too much traffic I've gone up to thomas mtn and ran into 1 other vehicle in 2 hours. my own powder to play in and my own trails to make on the road.
if anyone wants more info, email me direct. [email protected]
its USFS land, so please stay on the trail.

Rawbrown said:
google for
Thomas mountain.
its just east of Lake Hemet
elevation is about 6600' I think.
when all the local hills are packed, this is where I go. I usually drive in the hard way from Cahilla.
been up there in the snow. no CHP requiring chains on wet pavement especially from the south. drive in 1' deep snow making your own tracks, can push 2' on the north side slopes near the peak. when Laguna and palomar are getting shut down from too much traffic I've gone up to thomas mtn and ran into 1 other vehicle in 2 hours. my own powder to play in and my own trails to make on the road.
if anyone wants more info, email me direct. [email protected]
its USFS land, so please stay on the trail.

We try to hit Thomas Mtn. a few time in the winter so the kids can see what the "white stuff" feels like.... no real wheel'n just a nice snowy drive.
Isn't that a long drive for you Ryan ?...... Well maybe not considering B.B. is further away.....

Curt

its about an hour and a half for me to bautista road from my house.then its another 30-45 minutes up the FS roads on the south side of the mountain.
from bautista I take 6S16 to 6S18 to 5S15 then up to the peak. the peak is 6800' so good snow. don't need chains cuz its all powder but bring a shovel and a winch in case you get stuck. you are all alone most of the time.
I haven't been up there in over a year so I don't knwo how good cell service is up there. have fun and take lots of pictures...

Well if you went today....... you got SNOW !!! The level was low...
We usually head in from the S.E. end of Garner Valley, let the kids
get their fill then out by Lake Hemet.

Stay warm....
Curt

I go to barton flats and take a right on to Jenks Lake Rd.....by where everyone sleds....there is a dirt road off to the right that leads to a semi-popular trail head in the summer. stay on that dirt road for a while and people start to get less and less.....or you could have just came to Yucaipa yesterday!

Back