• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum connector on NP231?

MJ_Chubs

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an NP231 from an XJ that had the vacuum disconnect on the D30 front. I'm swapping the axle and 231 into my MJ but will be deleting the vacuum disco.

There's a connector on the driver's side of the TC that looks like it's vacuum lines. What was this for? Is there going to be a problem if I don't reconnect these lines? The vacuum lines in the harness that I pulled were broken anyways.

Thanks for the help.

What you see there is a vacuum switch or valve that routes the vacuum to the disconnect motor. It's self contained, so no harm in just leaving it unconnected. Of course with the disconnect deleted, you won't have a dash light when 4WD is engaged. If you really wanted, you could use that TC switch to send vacuum to the vacuum-operated switch on the inner fender, which is what powers the dash light. Originally, that switch took vacuum from a tap on the axle motor, but you could presumably route the "engage" vacuum line directly to it.

I don't know which nipple is which on that switch, but one is "engage," one is "disengage," one is for the vacuum source (canister) and the fourth is a vent to the atmosphere. If you can figure it out, you should just be able to leave the source and the vent as original, run "engage" to the light, and plug the "disengage."

Or just skip it.

Back