• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Pinion seal replacement

XJ_Xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
My D30 high pinion DS seal is weeping. I searched and came up empty. It looks pretty staight forward, but would ask for any advice, tips or write up link before I dive in.

Thanx in advance.

i just did mine, notched the yoke, nut, and pinion, AND spoke directly with the local jeep dealer mechanic.

just line up everything the way you removed, you'll be fine.

btw, be careful removing the old seal, you dont want to nick the recess the seal sits in and create an additional seepage.

run some searches, they are very recent threads that will also give you some tips regarding homemade intallation tools.

btw, my '98 high pinion uses shims, not a crush sleeve such as the C8.25" rear does. This makes the seal replacement less critical.

A high pinion D30 doesnt have a crush sleeve, it has shims. You dont need to notch anything or retighten to exactly the same position or any of that crap. Just torque it to the proper torque when you're done.
If you feel better marking the yoke, pinion and DS go ahead but its not necessary. Ive heard people say you have to put it all back together as it came apart but fact is its not balanced together at the factory and if you ever put an aftermarket DS on, it wont be balanced with the pinion and yoke, so why they think it needs to go back the same way is beyond me.

XJ_Xtreme said:
Thanx for the replys guys. Looks pretty straight forward.
XJ_Xtreme, what size socket did you use on that pinion nut ? I got done tonight with my front axle cover and went to replace the pinion seal. I unbolted the drive shaft, but I don't have a socket big enough (image that, 4 sets of various 1/2" drive length, tooth, metric, and standard sockets and I still don't have right tool).

Tim88XJ said:
IIRC its 1 1/8
Thanks Tim. A previous search pulled up 2 different sizes, and since I have to purchase a larger socket, I would of liked to get the correct size on the first try.

Ray H said:
A high pinion D30 doesnt have a crush sleeve, it has shims. You dont need to notch anything or retighten to exactly the same position or any of that crap. Just torque it to the proper torque when you're done.
If you feel better marking the yoke, pinion and DS go ahead but its not necessary. Ive heard people say you have to put it all back together as it came apart but fact is its not balanced together at the factory and if you ever put an aftermarket DS on, it wont be balanced with the pinion and yoke, so why they think it needs to go back the same way is beyond me.
:lecture:
So by your logic, with a shim setup and an original torque of say 165, i follow a torque spec of 180 ft lbs and just set the torque as I was told by you.
It would not be long before I would have to be back in there changing the pinion bearings because I had set the preload too high. There isn't an exact torque spec for a pinion, there is a range and it's all based on the prinion bearing preload.
It's not a matter of balancing, it's a matter of preload and bearing life.

The HP D30 uses shims to set preload, not a crush sleeve. There is a torque spec (Its something like 185-250) but that torque has nothing to do with the pinion bearing preload in a shimmed pinion. The thickness of the shims is what sets preload. You have two stacks of shims, one stack sets pinion depth, the other stack sets preload.

Dont believe me? Lets put XJ titles on it.(-extends hand for internet handshake-).
Come on, do it, I need another Jeep.
EDIT: In light of you having an 01 and mine being a 96, I'll throw in an addition Jeep (a 95 YJ) if you win. :)
EDIT: For the purposes of accuracy, I checked the torque spec. Its actually 180-260 ft/lbs.

Last edited:
I did it this way on my D44. No problems at all.

Ray H said:

Darn !
I saw this thread had been posted on today and I was hopeful that Daffy had taken me up on my offer. No such luck I guess.

Back