• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hub assembly problem(now with pics!)

a7273chargerguy

NAXJA Forum User
so i am changing the wheel bearings(edit changing hubs) on my 95 cherokee,got the axle nut off(that was a bitch)went and bought a 3 jaw gear puller and took off my bearing,or so i thought.now i have half of it on there still.it is in 4 hi with one tire off the ground.how do i remove the rest of it?it looks like the knuckle is still attached but i removed the three bolts from behind with a 12 point 13mm
hubassembly2.jpg

hubassembly.jpg

Last edited:
ummmm... Well they are not servicable bearings. The three bolts have to be removed to take off the unit bearing assembly. You are going to have to replace the whole hub assembly now. I have some used bolts that I thread into the rear of the UB's.... then out comes the BFH, a few bings and the UB pop out.

They are not serviceable units. Just spray the hell out area where the UB goes into the knuckle with JB-80, PB or Wd40. Let it soak in a bit and tap on the 3 bolts to "help" the UB's out. Make sure the bolts are still threaded in a ways so you don't mess up the threads and if you don't have extra bolts to use make sure you don't mushroom the heads by beating on them.

take the 3 bolts out and put the axle back in and the piece of the unit hub back on, tighten the big nut til its all nice and snug again, then use the sledge hammer on the back side of the plate the lug nut studs are on to walk it out...easier to hit that way...when it breaks loose then take the nut off and you can leave the axle in the tube if you want...

some times it helps to hit one of the ears of the unit bearing with a sledge and chisel to spin it a little bit, after the bolts are out...walk and spin

I had a problem getting the hubs off my XJ. I ended up putting a socket on the 13mm bolts and beating on the socket so I didn't ruin the heads on the bolts. Then I just took my time beating on them with a BFH working back and forth from one to the other. The only bad problem I had was my buddy decided to help me when I wasn't looking and didn't realize I was using a socket to beat on and he ruined a couple of my bolts before I realized what he was doing. Those things are $8 at the dealer so be careful. Then I used some anti-seeze on the hub so it wouldn't be hard to get out again. I'm glad I did because one of them is bad again after only six months. Don't buy your hubs at Advance. Spend the extra money and go to napa. I wish I had because now I have to change them again.

If you live in the rust belt or near salt water, put anti-seize or grease on the shanks of the bolts too. When I tackled my son's 96, one of the bolts sheared off. The shank was jammed into the knuckle hole by rust. I ended up having to cut one ear off the hub with a torch, and even then I couldn't drive the remainder of the bolt out. I had to burn it out.

By the way, that jack stand in the top picture is not very well placed. If it does fall off the jack, the stand will be of very little help, and probably damage the control arm. I prefer to put the stand under the frame, and then lower the main jack until there's just a little load on the stand. The two then work together to hold everything steady.

Back