• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights wont shut off.

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I have a 94 XJ, and I just encountered this problem today. I was out driving at lunch time and I noticed that my high beam indicator was on. When I pulled over to double check, sure enough it was on, and my lights were not turned on. The knob was still pushed in all the way. When I got home, I left it running, and took a look at my lights, which were on. The high beam indicator was still on. I tried clicking the high beams on/off, but the indicator would not go out. Then, I shut the vehicle off, and my lights were still on, and the high beam indicator was still illuminated on my dash. And the light knob was still pushed in so they should have been off. In the meantime, I have just pulled my fuse to not drain the battery. As soon as I put the fuse in, they come back on.

Idea's?

Hmm... could be a stuck relay, a bad delay module (the thing that keeps the headlights on after you turn off the key) or just short somewhere.

Try pulling the headlight relay out. The delay module should be under your dash near the switch. Unplug it too.

I cant seem to find the headlight relay, which doesnt make sense to me.

A few other people suggested to me that it may be the daytime running light module, if I can find that...

Problem was the saytime running light module. As soon as we unplugged it, back to a.o.k. Will install a new one.

P.S for future reference, if anyone has this problem, the module is located beside the washer fluid resevoir in the back corner, and it loosk like a lilttle black box.

I cannot express my gratitude enough, GQ Jeeper. I have an ice fish'n trip coming up in the morning and after getting some cheap gas this evening notice my lights were not turning off on my 97 XJ and it the highbeam indicator was always on. A quick search and almost immediately I found this thread.

Yep my DRL module is toast. Unplugged it and all is well. On my 97 (and I suspect all 97+) it is located under the hood on the passenger side fender near the firewall. Black box.

Was a little uneasy about a 800km round trip with a new electrical gremlin.

Saudade said:
Hmm... could be a stuck relay, a bad delay module (the thing that keeps the headlights on after you turn off the key) or just short somewhere.

Try pulling the headlight relay out. The delay module should be under your dash near the switch. Unplug it too.
So, just leaving this module unplugged isn't going to cause any other issues?

yes im having this problem. even going down the road the highbeam indicator and both blinker lights have been flickering on and off and now they wont come backon for good. this happend about 2months ago and was fine till now. i noticed before they went out for good that when you cut the ac on they would light up and then cut the ac off and the indicators would go back off. but now its stuck for good. 99 cherokee. HELP

Back