• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you take the front driveshaft apart?

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search but couldnt find an answer.
Im cleaning up a front driveshaft to use as a rear DS with my SYE. Im putting all new ujoints, cleaning up the CV centering ball and I wanted to pull the DS part and clean up the splines and inside the tube but I cant get the ring off that holds the DS together. How does this come apart?

I did a writeup over here

I hope it isn't taboo to link from that site :helpme:

edit: I see the subject on which you are asking I have not covered, sorry. Maybe this can help though

Yes, nice writeup but it doesnt really cover seperating the shaft in two.

If you have a greasegun and don't mind the mess just pump her full of grease till it comes apart.

EDIT: Sorry, I double posted but it wouldnt let me delete for some reason.

Last edited:
Do you actually know that it will come apart that way or are you guessing? Not that it matters now, Im just curious.
I gave up without getting that cap off. The reason I wanted it off was to clean the gunk out of it. It looked like it had water, dirt, and whatever else in the grease inside the tube. I thought this would be a good time to pull it apart and clean all that old stuff out and start with new grease. I eneded up just pumping new grease in to flush the nasty stuff out the spit hole in the end of the shaft.

There is a small hole in the end, so pumping it full of grease will just push grease out the hole. Plus you really don't want it full if you hit a hard bump and try to compress the shaft. It should just pull part, but it'll probably be hard to get the splined part past the rubber seal.

Back