• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big problem after header install. Need some Help!!

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
Okay....
I put installed a apn header tonight and everything went as to be expected. This is the second header I have done on a jeep and everything is rather strait forward but, I have some problems now.

When I started the jeep back up it instantly went to around 5000 rpm, I freaked and turned it off. I checked everything again, made sure everything was plugged back in right and it looks to be. I cant figure this out. I tried it a few times and every time I start it its like I have my foot glued to the floor and it red lines in a matter of 2 seconds then I turn it off before I blow something.

99 4.0

Throttle stuck open?

I'd let it be and see if it idles down. You reset the computer so it's probably being retarded and trying to figure out what happened to it.

This happened to me the first time I installed a header. In my case, the throttle cable got hung up near the throttle body.

which one is that? They can only plug in one way though right? I have gone over everything and made sure that you cant plug them in wrong. One good thing is I don't hear any ticking anymore from the cracked header. Everything worked fine when I pulled it into the garage.

If the IAC is the one on the driver side of the TB then yes its plugged in right. Also if I unplug it and start it it will not red line like it was, but I have to play with the throttle to keep the jeep running. I think I will swap it with my other jeep and see if its still doing it. But right now its cold out and I'm tired, I'm going to bed.

I had the same problem. Go back and retorque all of the header/ intake bolts. I bet you will find that the lower bolts are loose. There is a leak somewhere between the header and the head.

Brad

what header did you install??? maybe you accidently purchased a racing header. LOL

ok seriously. check the throttle cable along the entire lenght. i've had it where the throttle cable ended up getting kinked somewhere and didn't release. also double check all the sensors, make sure the header bolts are tightened down properly, and that everything on the intake is bolted on properly and sealed.

Well after some sleep and taking it back off twice I figured out what the problem is. The intake will not sit down on the studs so therefore it is not sealing on the bottom. I guess I take a grinder to it, or drill the holes out a little bigger so that it will sit flush. Oh what a pita!!

jwtrapper said:
Well after some sleep and taking it back off twice I figured out what the problem is. The intake will not sit down on the studs so therefore it is not sealing on the bottom. I guess I take a grinder to it, or drill the holes out a little bigger so that it will sit flush. Oh what a pita!!
Ok first off, do not drill, you have to grind the header and intake. It sucks, because you're one of the unlucky guys who didn't know that the APN header doesn't fit with the 99+ intake before you purchased it.
Check this thread out...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84418&highlight=apn+header+99+intake
That shows exactly what has to be done and where to grind and such. I tried to do it and just realized I'd end up screwing something up and didn't want to mess up my choice 99+ intake that I just bought, so I just went back to a stock 98- header.

Back