• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locks and how to fix

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
First off I just want to thank everyone who has helped me so far... I just got this jeep a couple of months ago and although alot has had to be fixed... I love this thing... so anyhow the previous owner told me someone tried to jimmy his lock open (drivers door) althuough I can lock unlock it it is a real pain and though I dont often need to ( I live in the boonies) when I do lock it its a real pain to unlock... how much trouble is it to fix/ or replace the lock... can I do it with out having to get yet a different key.
thanks again

xjwisconsin said:
First off I just want to thank everyone who has helped me so far... I just got this jeep a couple of months ago and although alot has had to be fixed... I love this thing... so anyhow the previous owner told me someone tried to jimmy his lock open (drivers door) althuough I can lock unlock it it is a real pain and though I dont often need to ( I live in the boonies) when I do lock it its a real pain to unlock... how much trouble is it to fix/ or replace the lock... can I do it with out having to get yet a different key.
thanks again

Hm - more input...

1) Did he say they tried to go through the keyhole, or use a slim jim? That would work on different parts of the lock.

If a slim jim, then try taking off the door liner and see what the operating rods look like for the locks.

If through the key, then there are two common keys - they used a GM-style key (made by Briggs & Stratton, I think) until 1990, then went to a ChryCo double-cut key in 1991. The two cylinders are different, so it matters...

However, a competent locksmith should be able to put you to rights and allow you to use the same keys - worst case, he'd put in another cylinder, and select tumblers to work with your keys (it can be done. I want to do something similar - key all my RENIX rigs to work off of the same set of keys, and that would lose about a pound off of my keyring...)

5-90

Back