• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what paint for rock rails?

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
just got my rock rails from jcr offroad. nice rails but not as nice as detours.i was wondering what kind of spray paint would work best .i was thinking of using black appliance spray epoxy as that seems to take a beating .anybody else use this paint or know one that will hold up until you do some major scratches?

If you really use the skids, you'll paint them often. Something cheap and easy works great.

mudrat said:
just got my rock rails from jcr offroad. nice rails but not as nice as detours.i was wondering what kind of spray paint would work best .i was thinking of using black appliance spray epoxy as that seems to take a beating .anybody else use this paint or know one that will hold up until you do some major scratches?

I used black gloss rustolem.... roller and brush..... I can touch it up in just a few minutes without overspray.

Hammerite. Spray or brush

Cheaper the better.
If you use them anything will scrape off.

I like Rustoleum Hammered for anything that sees some rock rash. It holds up pretty well to some good hits. It doesn't require priming, just get any loose material off and spray it on. It hides scratches and stuff pretty well too. Goes right over rust. Makes it real easy to do touch up (not that I've bothered to yet).

My sliders I just used regular ol' grey primer then some Rustoleum satin black. Clean them really good before you paint. I touch them up frequently. I just hold a piece of cardboard as a mask to keep the paint off of the body. Werks gud fer me.
I took a little more time on my bumpers.
After I cleaned them really good with some brake cleaner, I hit mine with several light coats of self-etching primer. After that, I used Rustoleum in a satin Black flavor.

One thing I learned on the rear bumper. Do not paint on a real humid day. It was very very humid the day I decided to paint it. The paint ended up with a real rough texture to it. I plan on sanding it down and hitting it again sometime.

HTH

Krylon semi gloss black dries fast and is durable, they offer a black
primer also.

Hammerite has been bought by Rustoleum, if you like the "true"
Hammerite product, buy every can you can find ASAP, it wont
be restocked.

Bedliner's, I prefer the Duplicolor brand, really nice, control-able finish.

I hate when ya find a good product like Hammerite and it gets bought out, or messed with. :soapbox:

We've made a set of nerf bars; a nerf bar/rock slider combo (for my XJ); and three front bumpers (TJ, YJ, and my XJ). For every one of them we used farm implement black over red primer. It's cheap and easy to find at Tractor Supply Company. It's very easy to touchup for the occasional inevitable scuff on the rocks.

Back