• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear defroster; still not heating

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Awhile ago I had the main wire break off of the rear window (95 xj).....this would be the main wire on the passenger side of the window. Drivers side wire is fine.

So I purchased the permatex adhesive for gluing the main power tabs for rear window defrosters back on.

Followed the directions and all, and there IS metal-to-metal contact, besides the adhesive.

However, the defroster isn't heating. The light on the switch does operate, so I'm guessing all fuses are ok....unless theres some hidden fuse I'm not aware of.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Get a test light and check for power at the rear window. No power, check the relay in the power distribution center. If it is the same as the other relays just swap them and check for power again. If you do have power at the window, check the ground with the test light.

Will whip out the meter tomorrow.

Relay is clicking so apparently all fuses are 10-4...It's possible I may have disconnected one of the wires in the hatch or whatever when I had the panel off to switch the light contact for the rear latch.....not sure.

Ok, there is power in the wire, but not between the reattached wire and the metal survace. I'm not sure why! The adhesive was supposed to be electrically conductive (It's by Permatex)

If I put the tip of the meter inbetween the metal surfance and the wire, I get a spark. This means the wire isn't fully touching the surface.

Funny thing is it was mashed down tight against the surface with the electrically conductive adhesive.......

What the hell?

BTW the other side is getting conductivity between the window and the wire......never came off though, but I tested anyway.

; still not heating

Had this problem on a yota, couldn't get the permatex stuff to work, tried soldering it myself and the window shattered, I send them out to the glass shops to be soldered back on.

Back