• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

comanche ? etc......

rubiconrescue

NAXJA Forum User
found a mj less than a mile from my house in the woods. owner dosnt want to sell but im about to go lay down som serious cash and see if it changes his mind. the only thing that trips me out is he says its a 2.8L v-6 from chevy? it even has the decals on it! i thought they only came with 4.0's and 4bangers? its a 86 4x4.

help pleaz!

rubiconrescue said:
owner dosnt want to sell but im about to go lay down som serious cash and see if it changes his mind.

ummm.. Just curious.. What's your idea of serious cash?? How much are you willing to pay for it??

Elias
Eh-lee-us
or "E"

around 5-600. that serious cash for the condition of the jeep. its a nice body no rust and the motor is good. but had a small fire in cab.

rubiconrescue said:
are these ok compared to the 4.0 or should i stay away from this power plant.

Plan on swapping - the 2.8L was a dog. The 3.1 and 3.4 are both improvements, and a direct swap with the right donor...

F-body
S-10/S-15 Blazer and pickup
Don't neglect the FWD donors - check for a starter mounting pad on the BACK side of the engine block (as mounted.) The Goodwrench Service Replacement (GSR) engines were made to work with both FWD and RWD/4WD vehicles, and therefore have start motor mounting pads on BOTH sides of the engine.

5-90

5-90 said:
Plan on swapping - the 2.8L was a dog. The 3.1 and 3.4 are both improvements, and a direct swap with the right donor...

F-body
S-10/S-15 Blazer and pickup
Don't neglect the FWD donors - check for a starter mounting pad on the BACK side of the engine block (as mounted.) The Goodwrench Service Replacement (GSR) engines were made to work with both FWD and RWD/4WD vehicles, and therefore have start motor mounting pads on BOTH sides of the engine.

5-90

a dog b/c? not much power or just a crapy motor?

rubiconrescue said:
a dog b/c? not much power or just a crapy motor?

Yes. Not much power for the displacement, and the damn thing usually leaks like a seive.

I've owned both the 2.8 and the 3.1 - and I can attest. I spent all my time working the damn 2.8 just to keep getting back and forth to work. The 3.1 I could actually make some small improvements on (both were FWD, and both had port fuel injection.) They learned a lot on production when they went from the 2.8 to the 3.1, and a little more when they went from the 3.1 to the 3.4.

5-90

rubiconrescue said:
also how much work would it be to swap in a 4.0? since i would be swaping the 2.8 out anyway

Look for the 3.1 or 3.4 in the donors I mentioned - more information can be had at www.60degreev6.com (.org?)

It's a lot more to put the 4.0 in. In 1987, the front clip on the XJ and MJ was redesigned (lenghtened slightly, and firewall modified) to accept the rather long 4.0L. It can be done, but it's work - search around here for more information...

5-90

rubiconrescue said:
also how much work would it be to swap in a 4.0? since i would be swaping the 2.8 out anyway
best accomplished with a donor vehicle.
you need a complete front end to swap parts from.

Back