• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 out ?? in

nonnie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a RR D44 and would like something equally strong to stand up to hard running and 35's and a locker in the front. '96 XJ BTW. I would look at shortening something to fit. It is a DD and a F/S conversion sticks out way too far for the local law. I would like to keep the 4.5x5 due to my rims I just bought. The late '70's F250 seems to be a good candidate. Anyone have success with others? I do not want to sink money into another D30...been there done that

sell the rims/get new ones
use an eb d44 -redrill your rear shafts to 5on5.5

or same for a driver-side Narrow track FSJ wagoneer d44 but swapping more parts or drillin one more Hole :)

i wouldn't consider a rubicon d44 bc the outers are just essentially d30 parts- or so i've been told...

what d-30 parts are ya breaking??

--reason i ask is i run 35s with a locker on my jeep and i've only broken 1 shaft ever and 2 joints

index.php

oh but my jeep is a Mall-krawler tho LOL

nonnie, what do you consider hard running? I've been on Moabs 9 top trails with guys running D30 and 35 tires and no breaking axles. You know my specs so what are you doing that you haven't told us?

I am not a mechanic so I usually look to over build. Hard is a word like "nice" there is no way to guage it. I used to trail and deep mud (2' + up) but lately the rock outcroppings are looking good to me. Again I want to over-build it once and correctly so i have no big surprises 4 miles from a highway

Keeping the 5 x 4.5 pattern is gonna be the limiting factor in your buildup.

Most patterns that will stand up to locked, 35" criteria are gonna be 5 x 5.5 or more ( 6 or even 8 lug). Most people( me included when I get the money) go with the Ford outers on a HP D44 and redrill the rear to 5 x 5.5 as mentioned before or buy dual pattern axle shafts.

Some things to think about: front leaf spring D44's will require the spring mounts to be cut off unless your gonna convert to leaf springs, shortening requires cutting the knuckles off and cutting the tubes and either getting custom length axle shafts or finding a stock length thats close( early Waggie is the best according to Crashes write up, which I am basing my build up on),

this is a costly adventure if you are going to do it right.

just my .02

Back