• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L engine swap

canadian_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ 4.0L and my head is shot. I have called around and it

seems cheaper to just replace the whole engine. My question is: what year

engine can I go up to without having to do any major mods? My local

wrecker has a variety of years available. They sell the engines complete

with manifold and fuel system. Will I be able to keep the parts that come

with the new engine or I do need to reuse my old ones due to the changes

in '91? I am pretty sure I can use most block and heads from up t0 '99 but

I'm just not sure about the rest.

Thanks

This has been covered many times. 87-90 would be a direct replacement. Newer years will fit in place. But you would need to consider your emmission laws. Mainly the newer years don't use an EGR setup for emmissions. The newer intakes would requite modifications.

Tom

I have been doing alot of searching as per the engine swap that I want to do. I am thinking of getting a '91-'95 engine. The wrecker in my town sells the complete engine with just about everything bolted to the block. The manifold, fuel rail, injectors, ps pump etc.

My issue is that I still can drive my XJ (just barely) and will do so right up until the swap. I plan on getting a shop to do the swap as I do not have the facilities or all the tools to perform it myself. I plan on buying the engine and then changing the rear main, the oil pan gasket and cleaning up the engine. I want to get the engine to the point that the shop can just drop in the new engine without much effort.

I guess my big question is should I just go out and buy the renix parts that need to be swapped off the old engine to make things easier? I am sure that alot of the existing parts that need to be swapped are shot as my jeep's odo has stopped at 235,000 miles. That was probably over a year ago so it is most likey that alot of my parts need to be replaced anyways.

I just want to make it as KISS as possible for the mechanics as I can to avoid any overcharges. They quoted my 8hrs. for the swap but that did not include any parts swapping.

Sorry for the long post. I just want to get it right the first time!!

You have to fabricate your own TPS adapter if you have an automatic tranny & fuel line adaptors/extension, a shop may not want to do that part (liability) for you.

I don't see any difference in using new or old parts as long as they work correctly. Most every part (besides the new HO parts) will be reusable from your old motor. Make sure they reuse everything electrical from your current motor & don't put in any new HO electrical parts (ie flywheel, CPS, coil, etc) or your motor will never start. (I think recently someone did this swap & used the HO flywheel: time to pull the tranny again :( )

You'll need the HO exhaust, tranny kickdown cable & accel pedal cable also, (take a look at my write-up linked above). While you've got the pan off the tranny you might as well change the fluid/filter & a shop'll charge you more for that too.

i know i swapped an 88 4.0 into my 94 and the only differences were the distibuter, coil, and the alt mount, other then that everything was the same (plus i used the fuelinjection and everything that was on the 94

Back