• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Totalled my XJ yesterday morning... Quick ?'s

Del00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Title says it all. Yesterday morning leaving my neighborhood I took a shot in the Ft. Lt. Wheel. Tore the Unibody at the passenger side door. Broke the ears off the axel. And on and on and on. Pictures tonight will tell the story. But, my 97' Burple ZJ is the DD now. Wondering what on my 99' XJ Classic will switch over into my ZJ. Motor? Trans? Gears? Lockers? Anything. What I had was a 99' Classic with a 3.5 RE lift, 4.10's with an OX in Front and Detroit in Rear. Motor only has 60k on it. Should be an AW4 tranny... Any help would be much appreciated. I'm on trail withdraw now...

that sucks.

the front locker will fit depending on the gear ratio, and the motor will fit. the front springs will fit, but give you one less inch of lift.

That sucks! Glad that you are OK, or at least able to type. I would recommend to keep the ZJ for the DD, buy the XJ back from insurance company, buy another XJ and transfer your salvagable parts to the "new" XJ, sell what you don't need to cover other items for "new" XJ.

Just my opinion. Not sure about parts swapping over.

Lol The frame is kinked in a couple spots. A tear below the passenger side. And Ft. is squeezed to the left at least six iches, but that's also because the spring popped out and the control arm broke. The woman who hit me took the shot, didn't bother me so much as a knock on the window. Made three payments on the XJ so far... She's a goner now... Now I know what real debt feels like.
As for the transferring parts over, I don't think the ZJ is a very good investment seeing it's beat up now. Bent TCase linkage, Whining Rr., Axel Seals leaking, 128k,... I'm not ready to go back to the other side of the tracks!!!

Del00XJ said:
Lol The frame is kinked in a couple spots. A tear below the passenger side. And Ft. is squeezed to the left at least six iches, but that's also because the spring popped out and the control arm broke. The woman who hit me took the shot, didn't bother me so much as a knock on the window. Made three payments on the XJ so far... She's a goner now... Now I know what real debt feels like.
As for the transferring parts over, I don't think the ZJ is a very good investment seeing it's beat up now. Bent TCase linkage, Whining Rr., Axel Seals leaking, 128k,... I'm not ready to go back to the other side of the tracks!!!
Easy solution: re-buy the XJ, take out the motor and all your goodies, find another XJ, sell the ZJ, build new XJ. :D

But seriously - if you wanted to you could swap the motor. It should fit fine depending on your ZJ's transmission.

If you are thinking about parting out your wrecked Xj I need a full set of locks and a key for them. Ignition, glovebox, doors, tailgate handle.

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:
I would love to pick up the lift from you. Maybe a few other parts if you part it out.

PBen

That sucks dude... funny how the vultures are lining up to strip her down though :) Heck, you could probably make your money back on whatever you pay to get it back from the insurance company by parting her out....I have seen that done a couple time and it worked out good for the seller....

For a 99 you should be able to get some ok cash. Here's what I did last year when the same thing happened to me.

Tell the insurance agency that you want to keep your wrecked rig for a week or so to get all your goodies off. They may fight you over it but tell them that they aren't paying for everything that's on it so you are keeping it.
Pull ALL your stuff off. Put stock springs back in, pull the lockers, etc. The only stipulation that the insurance company put on it for me was that I had to replace with stock every item I took off. I almost followed that; it had no radiator (took my GDI), had no brakes (pulled my 8.25 with disc brakes and locker and replaced it with a $100 junkyard D35 with no brakes), had a big hole in the passenger floor board where the front leaf spring bolt broke from the wreck) and picked up some stock springs from a buddy and found a cheap ass, dry-rotted set of tires at the junkyard.

Within in a week I had replaced my 94 with a 00 and swapped every item over and upgraded most.

It sucks that you have such a low mileage engine! With that being the case it might be worth it for you to purchase it from the insurance company and if you feel up to it swapping it into your replacement, or storing it for future use.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
Mitch

Dude thats funny cause I call my Zj blurple also!!
1132762660_l.jpg

Back